ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how hard is it to convert an awd car to rwd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how hard is it to convert an awd car to rwd?

how hard is it to convert an awd car to rwd? because there are cheap dsm awd cars.

not very

all you have to remove the front drive shafts. replace rear drive shaft and weld the spyder gears on the center differential easy and cheep

Comment

what awd's are you looking at?

Comment

oh really! my brother has a dsm which im guessing most of you guys dont know what that is because they are either ff or awd but anyways. every mitsubishi eclipse (my brother has a regular 91) from first generation to the second. i am not sure about the third. but dsm fits eagle talon, mistubishi eclipse, and plymouth laser. i think the eagle talon is awd so i might look into those. the eclipse has 4 models the 1.8,2.0,GSX, and GST gsx and gst are turbo gsx is awd.

Comment

GSX Eclipses still carry a high price tag

Comment

well you can get some for around 7k with decent mileage, depends on how much your willing to spend in the first place though

Comment

i dont have that much but i was just asking. simply a dream if its 7k

Comment

DSM stands for diamond star motors which was the joint venture between mitsubishi and chrysler.

Comment

i know. but what does dtm stand for? is it VW or something? i dont even know if it is dtm but something like that.

Comment

it's a racing series in germany. "Deutschen Tourenwagen Masters"

Audi, benz, and Opal all participate.

A lot of parts for european cars are described as "DTM", like those silly dual upturned exhaust tips and mirrors and whatnot.
                    Last edited by Parry; 06-17-2004, 09:51 AM.

Comment

See here:

http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...1291#post71291

It's a task to do a drivetrain conversion, check out that thread for more discussion.

-MR

Comment

Re: how hard is it to convert an awd car to rwd?

Originally posted by blargonator
                        how hard is it to convert an awd car to rwd? because there are cheap dsm awd cars.
                        That's easy! just sell your AWD and get a RWD. Simple as that

Comment

In skylines its just a matter of removing a fuse. I read about it in a Modified Mag once. And i know someone who ripped his entire front differential off on his 92 eagle talon tsi for drag racing. It runs 7 seconds on a quarter mile with full stock interior and AC still hooked up. But expect to do a ton of fabricating.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamSLIPdrifter
                            In skylines its just a matter of removing a fuse. I read about it in a Modified Mag once. And i know someone who ripped his entire front differential off on his 92 eagle talon tsi for drag racing. It runs 7 seconds on a quarter mile with full stock interior and AC still hooked up. But expect to do a ton of fabricating.
                            If he got rid of his AC and interior, he'd run faster times with the AWD...

You can't just take stuff out and expect power to go to whatever wheels are left connected, there's initial split and torque allocation under slip that you have to worry about. Doing a AWD to RWD conversion will depend on the car, and pretty much all of them except the Skyline takes more work than pulling a fuse (which I've heard disputed as well).

-MR

Comment

In the article the owner said so himself its just a fuse. The entire skyline atessa system (pardon if its mispelled) is electronically controlled of course. The torque split in skylines is electronically controlled, instead of mechanical, thats why you see them still accelarating into turns after everyone else brakes, because the computer monitors tire slip and modifies the torque to front and rear so the car can go into turns at much greater speeds. 92 DSMs (eclipse, talon, laser, vr4 galant, and early vr4 3000gts) are pretty much just thrown together with the intention of being ripped apart for racing. Mitsubishi knew people would use them for that purpose so they didnt waste money mass producing systems that would be tempered with anyway. Go to www.dsm.org if you wanna find out more on just how thrown together these cars are with a rockhard 2.0L turbo 4g63 engine (same as used in the evos except inverted). All it was was i think some electrical and a matter or ripping off the front diff. He has AC and full interior cause thats the class he races is. Those things are required and all other modifications are unlimited.

Comment

Working...
                              X