beat it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beat it

i got this post off the nissansilvia.com forums. i thought this was a pretty clever technique so i thought i'd share it wit yall so here goes

Thought I might share this as it might help some of you avoid those pesky fines and demerits....

in late April I received a $130 speeding fine in the mail. According to the attaached letter my car had been clocked at 71km/h in a 60km/h zone on the 29th of December , almost 4 months previously. Being the holiday period, it was also double demerits. Of course I was not happy with this, and thought I'd argue the point a bit. To be honest I wasn't all that hopeful of a result, but I thought at least by contesting I could avoid paying the fine for a bit longer!

I sent the NSW police a letter, stating that more than one person drives my car regularly, and because of the time taken in informing me of the fine, it was unreasonable for them to expect me to remember who had been driving the vehicle on the date of the alleged offence, and that they should therefore reconsider the fine. Yesterday I received a letter back stating that whilst they believe that the offence was correctly reported, they have now decided to only issue me with a caution; meaning that both the fine and demerits have been waived!

Now I recon the cops don't let people off with cautions just because they're feeling nice that day, so I think despite what they claimed about the offence being correctly reported, the real reason they let me off with a caution is that if I had decided to take the dispute to court the courts would probably had ruled in my favour.

So if you are ever in the same position and the police are slack with notifying you of an alleged offence, argue the point; it seems to have worked for me!

yeah for a lot of tickets if you simply show up to the court date they go easy on you, if you argue a lot of times its even less. all you have to do is stand up to it if you believe you have been wronged

Comment

anyone else read this thread? cmon, i wanna know hyour guys' reactions to this

Comment

my reaction to the title is that i have michal jackson song stuck in my head, and thats just ignorant!
        but it sounded like the cops just didn't feel like argueing with the guy, and thats being ignorant

Comment

oh?

Comment

is this from the usa? it is pretty obvious that if they cant prove that you are the driver of the vehicle that they can not issue a citation to you. i wasnt aware that they are using photgraphs and radar to issue citations through the mail. i think this is over seas or something.

Comment

naw, it was in Australia.

Comment

meh, here in Victoria (Thats nsw) on one of the main tollways, it was found speed cameras were incorectly callebrated.... and on top of that, the cameras only took pics of the frount plate, so bikes were clocked doing 200+kph with no fine...

Comment

That's awesome. I had thought about that before, because really it's hard to prove with those cameras. I think they started doing that in LA, but I might be wrong.

Comment

In the case where they send you a ticket in the mail, it technically doesnt matter if someone else is driving your car. Unless its stolen, you gave that person permission to drive the car. And if they can't catch the person who was driving the car they'll try to pin it on the owner. It sucks, but they'll say that you are responsible for the car. Those cops in the earlier post just were lazy. (I've recently taken an insurance course in which this scenario popped up.)

Comment

Originally posted by style54109
                      That's awesome. I had thought about that before, because really it's hard to prove with those cameras. I think they started doing that in LA, but I might be wrong.
                      yes, take it to court. and ask them about the camera calibrations. (that's waht my chem teacher told me.)

Comment

Working...
                      X