RX-7 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX-7 problems

i know i have something posted already but i need more specifics. the FC i found will not go past 2,500-3,500 rpms. someone said the apex seals may be bad. if those are bad is there most likely other costly repairs? it is a 87 GXL with 87000 miles.

Well its going to need a rebuild. If the seals are bad you might want to check the houseing as well. Basically once something goes your going to need a new engine.

Comment

yeah man.....get a mazdatrix catalog or just go to www.mazdatrix.com to look at the online catalog.
      You can get a 13b turbo engine for it or just a non-turbo 13b for it. They cost aanywhere from 3 to 5 gs. Great company if u have a steady stream of funding.

Comment

argh! i wish i had 3,000 to buy a car with in the first place. i was looking on ebay for engines. man screw that. i will get a job as soon as possible and be a cheap bastard for like 2 months. there was a perfect RX7 with a good engine. whatever.

Comment

first off check the compression and that'll tell you if you need a rebuild or not. I need some info on the cars condition, has it sat for over a year, stuff like that. If compression is good check the fuel and eletric systems. And you wont need 3-5k to buy a motor, ifso it better be heavily modded. I found a used rebuilt and street ported long block for my 7 for only 1200.00 shipped.
          Last edited by theflatlander; 06-25-2004, 06:40 PM.

Comment

i plan on going back as soon as possible and i will get you guys the information like specifics of when it was last used and that sort of thing.

Comment

What does it do when you try to get it up past 3500 RPM? Does it just stop or slow down or what?

Comment

people have been telling me that it needs a costly rebuild so i just have to keep looking for a good one. it just wont get past 2,500-3,500 rpms.

Comment

it could also be caused by fuel and ignition problems

Comment

if the motor isnt shooting smoke or eating coolant its not blown!!

most likely you should go check your error codes first .

i have had the same problem and just sold the car so it didnt get fixed by me but i know its probably a timing problem..
                    ELECTRICAL 80% sure

Comment

Man, if it's bad, don't get it. Don't try to check it out and look at it and maybe get a new engine. Just keep looking. Get one you can drive home.

Comment

Wretched 2nd gen 'Wankle'!!!

German motor in a japanese car, great potential, sorry reliability...

Thats why i went with the proven Nissan KA (no offense because the FC is still a great car). I wish i still had the site because i'd send it to you. It had the translated factory manual for the car. Search for it, i'm sure its still out there. Everyone i've talked to about the 2nd gen told me that if you wanted an FC be prepared to learn alot about the rotary motor. They say its much easier to maintain than a regular piston once you understand it, only problem is that u have to start from square one...

But be realistic, a car that can rev to 9k stock isn't supposed to last without maintence.

Comment

yeah. one thing that is making me lean towards other cars is the rotary engine. there are so many small things that can go wrong on cars. my brother replaced his fuel filter, spark plugs, and many other small parts because the car was rumbling from 2,500 rpms down. then we figured out there was a tiny hole in the spark plug wires......well atleast my dad did not die when he was shocked. (a little old) but i know nothing about rotary engines except the basic concept of them.

Comment

Working...
                          X