ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Because a lot of people sit too close...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because a lot of people sit too close...

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/Dr...g_position.htm

Short but excellent illustrated article on driving position written by a BMW enthusiast who knows his stuff.

-MR

That guys writes really good articles... I like the one about roll cages.

PS- I sit in an optimized position in my e30... I find I can maintain control and generally just drive better like that. (And I've disabled my airbag so I don't have to worry about its force.)

Comment

Unfortionately i have only one position in my S13, all the way back. Actually i could use another half an inch to make it perfect. I wonder if its possible to move the rails on the seat back about an inch, maybe drill a new hole in the rail and just move it back, then i could move it to a more comofrtable position.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
        Unfortionately i have only one position in my S13, all the way back. Actually i could use another half an inch to make it perfect. I wonder if its possible to move the rails on the seat back about an inch, maybe drill a new hole in the rail and just move it back, then i could move it to a more comofrtable position.
        Stop wondering and try it out

Comment

not insulting but, why do you need to sit soo far?

Comment

Because if i dont then my legs arent straight there bent at an agle which causes my knees to hit the steering wheels, and bugs me after a few minutes of driving.

Comment

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
              Because if i dont then my legs arent straight there bent at an agle which causes my knees to hit the steering wheels, and bugs me after a few minutes of driving.
              lmao, i like to have a low seat too. it makes it feel like a "sports" car feeling (sporty). if you know what i mean

Comment

Really, this is an important article - it can help you become a more consistent driver.

Becuse I think maybe people are to lazy to follow the link, I'll copy it to here. (Sorry if I break any copyright laws, the author of the origional page is owner of the material)

"Is there a "correct" driving position? The answer to that question is yes, but it depends on the individual and the type of driving intended.

In general, when compared to professional race car drivers, I would say that most of us aspiring performance drivers have the steering wheel too low, and too far away. Also, the shift knob is usually too low and too far away from the the 3 o'clock position on the steering wheel (which is where your right hand is correct?) Lastly, the pedals are often not optimized for proper heel-toe and the clutch pedal is often too close to the driver.

Here we see one of the 1998 Alfa 156 Super Touring cars. As with the shot of Joe Winkelhock above, notice the position of the steering wheel relative to the driver. With his hands at the 3 and 9 positions, the driver's elbows are still next to his body. Also the center of the steering wheel is level with the driver's collar bone. This set-up provides maximum leverage and therefore maximum control. Note also the vertical position of the steering wheel. Since the driver sits so low, the steering wheel has to be rotated towards him.
                The shift knob is set high and close to the driver's right hand. This minimizes the amount of time that the driver's hand is off the steering wheel. You can't control a car very well with just one hand.

* Note the attachment of the shoulder straps and the lack of a seat brace - the common FIA set-up.

Now I am not suggesting that we should all modify our M3's to achieve this "full-race" driving position. But the driver's shown are paid millions to do one thing: drive their cars as fast as possible. And they can have any driving position they like. And this is what they choose. I just think that is a good thing to keep in mind. Is a "shorty" shift lever really the way to go? Maybe back in the 60's, but current race car drivers seem to prefer quite the opposite. Luckily, our M3 shift levers are already relatively high due to the drive shaft tunnel. But I would suggest getting the tallest shift knob possible. Having the knob closer to your hand will do much more for your driving than having a shorter shift throw. Having both would be ideal."

-MR

Comment

That was weird, a second ago it showed no replies, and now there's 6... oh well...

I think someone ought to make a spacer for the steering wheel on S13/S14 and ae86 that doesn't cost $100. I'm going to make a spacer for my CRX this weekend by pretty much welding a piece of 2.5" exhaust pipe in to my stock hub and Grant GT Carbon Fiber (woohoo, Grant) steering wheel.

-MR

Comment

And this is why most drifters aren't running stubby little shift levers and tiny ball-type shift knobs. (Note in the second picture down, the lever that is directly under the steering wheel column is the shifter. The two smaller levers are for driver-adjustable anti-roll bars.)

Pick the tallest shift knob you can buy (heck, one of those clear plastic ones with bubbles or sparkles for JDM-tYt3n3ss.)

Comment

just clicked my seat back a notch last week...

Nice article. I made a post-it note summary of it.

Funny coincidence: I just clicked my seat back a notch last week so I could get a better angle on heel and toe...

Comment

+1 to Grid

The guy who wrote these articles has a whole bunch of good stuff on his BMW-oriented website.

-MR

Comment

Working...
                        X