FC3S/Rotary engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FC3S/Rotary engines?

Can I get a picture or diagram of how a rotary engine works?!?! Are they reliable? I hear that they are really unreliable and they break down a lot. I don't imagine that many people are skilled with working with them because they are so different, so maintenance and parts must be pricey. Is the American FC3S style RX7 a good car? Is it a better drifter than a 240sx? How is it's handling?

I don't have a clue about these things, so if someone could e-mail me some info at dustydrifter4@yahoo.com, that would be good.

Thanks...a lot.

OK, settle down... there alot many experienced people who know the rotary all over the world. If you want to know how they work go here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/rotary-engine.htm that will show and tell u how. Rotarys can be very relaiable, you just have to have proper tuning and be sure to mod correctly.

Comment

As for drifting, a FC is a great drift car, but a 240 is better for learning purposes. A FC requires you to really push yourself. It loves to grip and the steering angle isnt as good as a 240. They are one hell of a fun car though I wish ihad 4 arms cause id give it 4 thumbs up

Comment

Hahaha...American FC3S...I prefer LHD FC...Anyway, to answer your questions, a 240sx is a drift happy car. It's very forgiving when drifted, great beginner car. Although, the handling isn't so great when stock, you need to get a new suspension, LSD or some other things to get it handling... An FC on the other hand is little harder to drift...And a little less forgiving, it likes to grip a lot, but needs less mods when it comes to handling. Since it is a sports car...And I think you answered your own questions about the rotary engine...It all depends how well the engine has been maintained. I'm assuming that you're looking into buying one of these...Well if you are, I recommend the 240sx. And forgiving me for asking, but is English your 2nd language?

Comment

owning an fc takes a lot more dedication, i think, than most other cars. if you take care of any car it will turn out to be very reliable obviously, but the rotary engine i think requires a little more attention than piston engines. the rotary engine comes down to three basic parts. piston engines run on 100+ plus parts. The thing is that rotary engines aren't very forgiving, at all. You neglect it once and that may be all that it takes for you to need a new engine or a rebuild. anyway my two cents

Comment

this months super street has a very good rotary car primer in it that i think you should pick up.

Comment

yea we just tore apart a 6 port motor ( n/a 13b) that had 390k on it and the only think wrong with the motor is a blown oil seal. what most people dont know is that most rotary engines can be built for around $500 and is very easy. like someone above said only three moving parts but a ton of seals and the only hard part is keeping up with all of them. for power its all in the porting and once you learn how to port you can set your powerband and have the sound you want (i love the brap brap brap sound of my bridge port ) if you guys have any rotary questions let me know i will be glad to help

David

Comment

Bridgeported- are you running a turbo bridge ifso, that thing must move.

Comment

not at the moment just spent my money for a haltech and fi parts on a 86 se so its still just carbed i do have two turbonetics t66s laying around that i was thinking about putting on but i think i will sell one to a friend doing a vert tII conversion and the other to my cousin for his gsx so i can put some money in the se and hopefully learn to drift

Comment

The breaking down of a rotary engine depends on the condition that your rotary is in. For instince, if you own an 88 FC and it starts to breakdown its problably your fuel pump since they tend to wear out. Another common problem is keeping the exhaust system and catalytic converter from stopping up. If you tune the 13b rotary right it can be one of the most reliable cars on the road (or track). Also, if you are looking in to these, they are the best for drifting because they come stock with stiff suspension and an LSD. Don't go with the 240SX because it comes with the KA24DET and it is one of the weakest engines and you don't waste money on an SR20 swap (which will be necessary). Also for more reliability and better drifting you will want to go with the N/A 13B, since the compression is higher in the housing is greater than the TurboII you won't have to boost the car. But if you are looking for speed (over 300hp) definitly go with the Turbo 13b. One last thing don't boost an N/A 13b motor because the stock compression and boost will cause your rotor housing to explode.

Comment

KA24DET weak?

funny, I built one for a customer and it has been over 2 years and no probs. Put downs around 350whp in street tune.
                      Maybe theres more gravity where you live.

Comment

i know aroncake on rx7club boosted his n/a and a few did supercharge them. i seriously doubt it will explode a rotor housing especially if its tuned not to say it cant see it happening. everything else about the 7 i agree with

Comment

defiant- KA24DET? No car EVER came with a KA24DET from the factory.

The KA24E/DE are not weak engines, and you're ignorant for thinking that. Do some research for God's sake, and don't just listen to the haters on this forum and others.

dusty- I have heard that the 240 is a better drifter, but a FC might be more interesting and promote quicker skill progression. Sure the inline-four in the 240 is more conventional, but rotaries aren't really that hard to work on once you learn about them.

Comment

thanks

I never thought that i would get 12 replies to my question. It sounds as though it just depends on me. I know the KA is strong, I have a KA24E and a KA24DE. I f anyone wants a 24E email me at dustydrifter4@yahoo.com. How hard would learning to drift an FC be and how much do they cost? Is there a better option? How about the Toyota Soaror/Lexus SC300/400?
                            Again, thank you for your assistance.

Comment

In reality both cars will provide a good solid foundation to learn racing skills. The major difference is the fact that the RX7 is a rotary engine, and that depending on the situation can be either good or bad.
                              If you are willing to learn about the rotary, go with the rex. If youd rather have a less complicated engine, go with the nissan.

whatever you do, understand first that no kind of car will replace good race skills. so practice, practice, practice, even if its on a pinto.

Comment

Working...
                              X