X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ae86 diff???????

my question is should i weld my diff close or leave it open

i daily drive and nightly drift well as much as can with a open diff
    my car is all stock execpt drop spring and supra wheels.

im scared that if i weld it it will break and ill have to buy one off ebay

so what do you think ????

Welding a diff used on a street car remains one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. (Been hearing it for years now.)
    You have 100% lock, 100% of the time... when turning, both tires move at EXACTLY the same speed... thus one of them chirps and struggles and hates your guts. It's much harder to drive smoothly (if not impossible) and will be an absolute beast in the rain. Why do people do it? Because they're cheap. Save up and buy a real limited slip... that's the only advice I have for you.

Comment

Here is a link to a discussion with people who have tried it.

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75807

General conclusion, not for a car driven on the street.

Comment

Well I must be cheep then cause i did it on at least 5 of my cars. My suggestion is dont be afraid to try it. If you dont like it, its only a stock open diff your messing up. Just do a good job when you weld it or you will break some parts and you will loose the ring and pinion too.
        BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

wow the man himself responed !!!!

were your last 5 cars all track cars ??? the weld sould be no sweat thanks to my firend peter yem.

Comment

I know people with welded diffs that don't have much of a problem.

You have to keep in mind that your diff is welded, so take turns as wide as possible and don't go over 70 on the highway in the rain (unless you want to slide off the road). As long as you weld the crap out of it and don't expect too much (see my signature) then I think that it will be a fairly decent remedy for open-ness.

Doesn't the MK II Supra P-type LSD bolt in to the Corolla's?

-MR

Comment

They were all driven on the street.

One suggestion though,
              Rain can ether be fun or your worst enemy, it all depends on your skill level. Keep your street driving at check till your used to it because the car will step out unwillingly.
              BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

thanks again alex

i was told that you have to lsd axles to install lsd is this true if not
                i might just go with the ebay cusco 2way

if i have to buy axles frist im welding it up

Comment

If you are planning on welding the diff there should be no need to source LSD axles, if later on you decided to go with an OEM or trd LSD you need to shave the non LSD axles about 5mm. If you get a kaaz or cusco you dont need to shave the axles. My buddy 05m0515 on this board shaved his axles for an oem one, and Imma have to do it for my drivers side cause I was stupid and bent it on a curb, then had to get a new panhard rod from Alex!

Edit: Didnt hear you say if your car was SR5 or GTS, you MUST use a GTS rearend. No LSD for SR5(different housing)
                  Last edited by Deluxe_247; 07-06-2004, 12:05 PM.

Comment

heres a pic of my open diff hatchi

no doubt its a double over head cam

EDIT: its a complete 86 gts that use to be red why its now white im not sure.you cant be to picky when you live in porter texas
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by OVERSTIRRED; 07-06-2004, 01:01 PM.

Comment

ive been contemplating welding my diff, my buddy has a ATS Deft force LSD and he has the same issues pointed out by gridracetech, when he turns, the inside tire chirps, and when he goes around a corner at a light, same thing.

Comment

Welding the diff is hardcore! I'm not sure what your question is Panda, or if you're just musing, but if you weld your diff that's what you'll get.

He might either have his set too high if it's adjustable or he just needs to break it in.

You might be able to get a spool (same effect as welding but won't be as inclined to break) for your housing for a lot less than a detforce, but then again if you have the money...

-MR

Comment

Great, another question answered. Let's not run it into the ground if you are satisfied and got the info you are looking for. Seems some pretty knowledgable people responded.

As for the white 86, who cares if it's white. Looks great far as i'm concerned.

Comment

Close the thread, quick!

-MR

Comment

Working...
                            X