Is there a too High octane fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a too High octane fuel?

On my non-drift days I've started to hit the drag strips. A friend of mine says he can get me some 130 octane fuel to boost my performance. First off (not that it matters)... is it safe on the engine to use something that high? Second... is there anything I need to do to prep the car to use such a high octane. And third... Will it give me much better performace?

It has been running on 93 octane gas with octane booster in it at ever full tank.

I've been told I might have to "remap the ECU" because the octane level is so high... but I'm not sure what exactly he ment about that and I'm not sure that would really do anything.

btw... the fuel is a purple color...

Anyone know how I should go about this? or even do it for that matter.

Comment

higher octane levels make your engines run a lot safer
      spoon and mugen hondas that have over 11.5 comp have to use around 100 octane to keep from detonation. but the highet the octane levels the less pure gas their is so it can rob up to 5 hp but it is great for drag because it will alow motors to run super high comp ratios without blowing up and they dont worry about 5hp when they get 30 hp from the compression

Comment

Would remaping the ecu be required... if so how do I do it?

Comment

Do more reasarch!!!!!!! It's not worth blowing your car up... man you already had problems with ur tranny and know you want to have problems with you engine lol

Comment

i dont think it matters but u might need more fuel because it should burn faster so if u got a afci-II or sumting you could make a map for the high octane levels

Comment

Well I found out that gas with an octane level of 100 is jet fuel. So what is 130 normally used for? Will the 37 extra levels have a really big differance in performance. If so, would it be more of a quicker accel. or higher speed? I can't really tell a difference between 87 and 93 except for the smell of it. As for performance I can't tell a difference. Then again that was back when I had the old '87 Camry.

Comment

u get more performance cuz u can changed the tuning, cuz its less resistant to knockage

Comment

No!!! Using 130 octane in a street car is a waste.Not only will you begin to actually make performance gains in the negatives,you also run the risk of causing some damage.Ignition timing would also have to be changed anyways...Either way..Why the hell would you even try anything over 114? Also,last time I checked jet fuel was leaded...correct me if I'm wrong? Leaded fuel=fun for your cats...

Comment

I'm looking for a higher octane because I've started to drag race lately and im just looking for a quick and easy (less parts added the better) boost other then nitros... and 130 is easier to get a hold of.
                    Last edited by VertigoEpidemic; 07-05-2004, 09:27 PM.

Comment

you wouldnt notice a difference unless you're tuning for it. 130 octane is rediculous, the most you'd want is probably 108. anything over that will fry your sensors from the EGT's and melt your cat's.

we run C16 race gas in my shop's WRX, and that's a little much, at about 110 octane. It mainly helps prevent knock, and with a fully progammable ECU in the car we can ramp up the ignition timing with that kind of gas.

For you, however, it wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

Higher octane doesn't mean more performance. If your car is not "knocking," using a higher octane fuel will do absolutely nothing for you but waste your money. Octane doesn't rate a fuels explosive ability only its ablity to resist knocking.

Adding lead to your fuel will increse octane. Go add some lead to your fuel and see if it makes you go faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Feint
                          No!!! Using 130 octane in a street car is a waste.Not only will you begin to actually make performance gains in the negatives,you also run the risk of causing some damage.Ignition timing would also have to be changed anyways...Either way..Why the hell would you even try anything over 114? Also,last time I checked jet fuel was leaded...correct me if I'm wrong? Leaded fuel=fun for your cats...
                          Exactly, you have no use for it and it isn't going to do you any good. Run premium all the time to make your car more happy.

Comment

Basically here is an easy answer...

Higher octane = burns faster
                            Lower Octane = burns slower

Now do not mistake burn faster = more power

Like many people have said. Higher octane allows you to run higher compression or forced induction. Other than that you are wasting your money.
                            Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

first off, the highest UNLEADED gas i have seen is 103 octane. im assuming the 130 octane your talking about is LEADED and you will be using this in a street car with an O2 sensor. using leaded gas will f@*k up your O2 sensor.

secondly, running higher octane will NOT instantly give you more power. higher octane will only allow you to make more power safely. only if you increase cylinder pressures by either boosting more, rasing compression, advanceing timing, etc. then you will need higher octane to prevent detonation.

as stated before octane is the fuels ability resist detonation. not how fast it burns.

Comment

Working...
                              X