No announcement yet.

Is there a too High octane fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghost check your Pms.. and yeah Hampton is the man! man that came out of left field.. thanks for educating us all.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy
      What are you talking about? I don't think you can even get leaded gas, key word is think here. I know you can get a lead addative for older cars that you pour in when you refuel. There are there are certain chemicals that you can put into 93 octane pump gas to bump it up to above 120 octane in your own garage.

im not sure where your from, but where i am you can get leaded race gas at a few local race shops. theyre sold in 5 gal. quantites. i think it may be illeagal to sell leaded gas from the pump, but im not sure on this. if youre in cali, you might be right since cali has stricter emmisions laws.

Comment

one word people our friend toulene

it stinks to high heaven but it works ok its not too expensive either, about 5.75 a gallon in the sherman willaims here

Comment

130 is like av-gas ur better off with optimax (premum unleaded high octane fuel and is street legal) the higher the number the steadyer the fuel burns

Comment

Originally posted by mudduck3006
            one word people our friend toulene

it stinks to high heaven but it works ok its not too expensive either, about 5.75 a gallon in the sherman willaims here
            Good call and good stuff!!
            This guy knows his censord!!
            Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

I don't mean to argue with the master here, but from what I have studied, the higher octane rating, gives the chemical a higher initial activation energy, which means it takes more to get it to detonate but gives off more of a bang once it has detonated, so theoretically you should be using less of the higher octane stuff because it gives off more energy in combustion, I didn't think the combustion rate had anything to do with resistance to premature detonation, it is activation energy,

Comment

I guess a good example of that would be desiel, it has alot of energy in it per volume however its very difficult to ignite. however this may be unrelated, i am no expert on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Menchi
                  I don't mean to argue with the master here, but from what I have studied, the higher octane rating, gives the chemical a higher initial activation energy, which means it takes more to get it to detonate but gives off more of a bang once it has detonated, so theoretically you should be using less of the higher octane stuff because it gives off more energy in combustion, I didn't think the combustion rate had anything to do with resistance to premature detonation, it is activation energy,
                  You are not arguing so much as stating the same thing.
                  Yes it is harder to activate.. You are right. Bang is the explanation...All that you are saying is right, the energy is also given off at a faster rate, hence "Faster Burn"...Good point. It is one of the physical properties of high octane fuel...
                  Last edited by RyanHampton; 07-14-2004, 01:00 AM.
                  Ryan Hampton

Baller Bolts Titanium Hardware

Comment

Not wise

You should do somemore research on gas/fuel octane, a common myth among races/tuners is the higher octane = more power, Wrong. Higher compression = more power, or higher boost = more power. The only replacement for displacement is boost. With Higher Compression/Boost comes the need for Higher octane to keep from detonating to early (knocking). The maximum compression you should run on pump gas without knocking is about 10-11:1, and thats on 91-93 octane. With 12-12.5:1 you are going to wanna run 100-103 Octane. Now if you put too much octane in your motor you run the problem of igniting it which then means you are wasting your fuel by dumping it out your tail pipe. With extremely high octane (130) you will most likely restrict your motor by not being able to spark it, not to mention the damage you would do to your Sensors/Cats. Now your probably thinking "No problem i'll just raise my compression or boost my motor and make tons of power". Yeah that would work, but only for a strip only car, because driving with such specs would be extremely costly in the motor build up, and give you a totally unstreetable ride, not to mention you wouldnt pass emissions, with no cats and your sensors modified. needless to say you that time of octane is about as combustable as water to your motor in stock or next to stock form. Skip the fuel.

LucidStrife

Comment

well diesels have something around 18:1 for the turboed and 24:1 for na massive compression either way i didnt belive my mr smarty pants mercedes tech dad either till i read the bosch automotive hand book on it. if i had a gas engine that had compression like that and it didnt blow up that would be serious stuff the true power of evil sorta crap kinda like mopar hemis

Comment

i use 110 octane on a reguialr basis in the Silvia and Supra. At the pump 110 is the highest u can get...if im low on cash i will put 99 octane piss water in but i almost always use 110.

Comment

Re: Not wise

Originally posted by LucidStrife
                          You should do somemore research on gas/fuel octane, a common myth among races/tuners is the higher octane = more power, Wrong. Higher compression = more power, or higher boost = more power. The only replacement for displacement is boost. With Higher Compression/Boost comes the need for Higher octane to keep from detonating to early (knocking). The maximum compression you should run on pump gas without knocking is about 10-11:1, and thats on 91-93 octane. With 12-12.5:1 you are going to wanna run 100-103 Octane. Now if you put too much octane in your motor you run the problem of igniting it which then means you are wasting your fuel by dumping it out your tail pipe. With extremely high octane (130) you will most likely restrict your motor by not being able to spark it, not to mention the damage you would do to your Sensors/Cats. Now your probably thinking "No problem i'll just raise my compression or boost my motor and make tons of power". Yeah that would work, but only for a strip only car, because driving with such specs would be extremely costly in the motor build up, and give you a totally unstreetable ride, not to mention you wouldnt pass emissions, with no cats and your sensors modified. needless to say you that time of octane is about as combustable as water to your motor in stock or next to stock form. Skip the fuel.

LucidStrife
                          WOW, Nicely said...

This is true. It's all about thermodynamics... Hell I took Thermo 1 twice. I better know my thermo... Thermo 2, I only took once and passed the first time. This I don't know as well.

Matt.

Comment

Working...
                          X