125k + mile maintainence questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125k + mile maintainence questions

my car is at about 125,200 miles now, and i was wondering, does my car really NEED a new timing chain and motor mounts at this point? im sure both are fairly worn, doubt they have ever been changed.... but my freind who knows these cars inside out, says i really dont "need" to change those, and that it will be fine the way it is. He has other friends around so-cal with 240's and says they never changed it, and dont have problems. what is everybody elses experiences with these parts? and what other maintainence should the engine be due for now that its getting closer to 130,000 miles? thanks

I say that no, they don't NEED to be changed unless it looks like they do. It's not uncommon for cars to run the same mounts for their entire lives.

Anything rubber ought to be closely inspected at the very least. Suspension bushings, boots, hoses, belts - all that stuff can really get gnarly after so many miles (and most likely years). Also make sure that joints on suspension and drivetrain are in good working order and are still tight - flappy suspension is the last thing you need while trying to hold the car down.

-MR

Comment

I dont play with timing chains or belts.
      If you doubt it has ever been changed, go ahead and do it. Id rather have peace of mind.
      The motor mounts can be easily checked. Just rev the engine and see if there is unusual amount of engine movement.

I would change every rubber piece in the suspension at this point and would upgrade to some urethane units. Youll feel a big difference in handling.

Also, things to check at that mileage, are fuel lines, and under hood engine harness.
      Make sure your wiring is protected and give it some black tape love if the old one is bad.

Comment

Working...
      X