whats the cheapest turbos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the cheapest turbos

yeah i getting a 240sx and as u know it has no power so i'm thinking of buying a turbo 4 it but whats the cheapest price i can buy for a turbo

This doesnt belong in Tech...learn the about the car you're getting before you go around asking juvenile questions such as that. Mods please move this to the noob section, this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen. I'm tired of being nice.

Comment

btw, check google and howstuffworks.com, educate yourself so someone on here doesnt have to waste there time doing it for you.

Comment

i seriously doubt you would want to buy the cheapest turbo you come across. search the threads for discussions on turbos. buy what works well for your car rather then what is cheapest.

Comment

Moved to Beginner's Forum?

You can pick up a S15 turbo for pretty cheap, as well as the stock SR turbos from redtops and bluetops.

Some Mitsubishi Turbos form DSM's can be had for next to nothing at junkyards, just make sure there's no play. Also Ford Probe turbos are cheap used.

-MR

Comment

aight what u do is you get one of those little fans u can get from the ice cream man, then you tape it up in a oatmeal carboard tube thingy and then you stick that where your air intake is. BOOM HELLA CHEAP TURBO WHATTT. but for real dont even mess with a turbo cause im pretty sure you will just ruin your car.

Comment

Originally posted by dae
              but for real dont even mess with a turbo cause im pretty sure you will just ruin your car.
              He wouldn't get that far. He would take a few things apart and then have no idea what to do or how to put it back together.

Comment

Re: whats the cheapest turbos

Originally posted by Drifting_is_Fun
                yeah i getting a 240sx and as u know it has no power so i'm thinking of buying a turbo 4 it but whats the cheapest price i can buy for a turbo
                Its really not as easy as simply buying a new turbo. See the turbo is going to need a special exhaust manifold, sometimes called a turbo manifold, really its just a header with short runners or pipes that lead to a place where the turbo bolts up. Then you are going to need a downpipe, or something to connect the exhaust out end of the turbo to the rest of the exhaust pipping. Then you will need a filter or pipping to carry air into the turbo, then you will need special pipping to connect the intake OUT side of the turbo to the intake manifold of the car, which on your 240 and most inline engines is on the oppisit side of the engine bay. And usualy you need some kind of intercooler, like a radiator for air, to cool down the not hot compressed air.

As you know from physics compressing a gas will heat it, and rapidly uncompressing a gas will cool it (how air conditioning works) Heat causes predetination, in other words the gas and air will get so hot it may exploid before it should. Which causes all kinds of bad things.. for example the flame front could be moving up and the same time the piston is moving down... something is going to have to give in that condition. Even with all the pipping in place you are going to need some way to control the boost, or pressure. You dont want it to boost too high. You will need a way to control your fuel delivery. That way no mater how much air the turbo crams into the engine it will always have the right amount of gas.

Its not easy designing a turbo system from scratch, it can be done. And indeed has been done, however most of us will buy a turbo kit. Or a setup from a company that includes the turbo pipping fuel systems usualy an intercooler ect.. They usualy run a few grand. Turbos them self can cost between the 600 dollar area to over 1200 dollars, and indeed more depending on the turbo. But with out all the parts its useless.

Also most naturally aspirated engines are running higher compression then there stock turbocharged counter parts. Though the KA24 isnt bad, it will limit the amount you can boost.

And of course you need to pick your turbo perfectly to make power when and where you want.

Lots of things to consider. just picking out the cheapest isnt the best idea. So with the KA your left with buying a kit, using someone else's turbo choice, or fabricating your own turbo system using whatever choices you want. Or maybe even buying a used kit and trying to match with another turbo. Your choice buddy. You also have the ability to pick up a sr20 or so, thts already turbocharged. though you will probably want to upgrade your turbo soon after. And smog legality is an issue in california.. Of course i think theres only 1 KA24DE turbo kit for the S14 that even claims to be pending smog legalization.

So you have some choices man get out there and see what you need to do.

Comment

www.homemadeturbo.com

+1 to Nissanguy, if you want to go turbo you have to get mroe than a turbine, but it can be done for less than $500.

I've seen the S14 AC condenser used as an intercooler - Tony's (Foilman) black S14 had this setup a while ago...

-MR

Comment

I can make ya a cheap turbo. I've got either my moms hair dryer or a gerbel that can run really fast and spool up 1/8 lb of boost =P
                    Seriously, if your serious about upgrading to a turbo, you should look for a quality turbo at a good price, not a cheap one. And like others said, get use to driving your car as is first before thinking about upgrading anything.

Comment

www.turbochargers.com has some pretty cheap new and custom turbos and they last.... i know a couple people that bought turbos off here.

Comment

you can get used sr T25 for beans

Comment

Turbos and Teenagers does not mix... Im a teen I wont buy a turbo car untill ive owned atleast three cars...so I wont kill it instantly...

Comment

Working...
                          X