Sound Dampening removal..S13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nissanguy_24
    removing the dash in a S13 will leave you with ALOT of room. I've had mine out before.. abit ugly though.
    Hahaa... You're the man...

I could never live with ugly car... I can live with nasty and stripped car, but not ugly...

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by panda_3ight_6

I just recently read somone on here saying, somthing of paint... I personally think that wouldnt save that much weight. But if every ounce counts then take it all off... also, Lightweight or Drilled Bolts. Thats a classic almost needed in a race car.
      I was watching a show about the Pre-War German racecars and they said that when a car was too heavy to be in a race they would strip all the paint off the car to save a couple pounds. The cars had the silver of the bare metal. I think it was Auto Union or Benz that did this. And that is why you see so many silver German racecars from the past and the present.

Comment

some people make carbon fiber doors for skylines so people probably make them for other cars.

what about the weight distribution though? because it seems ilke you should not just strip random things like all of the sound deadning stuff but maybe just in specic areas. i am not really sure.

Comment

weight distribution wont be effected too bad, especialy sence most of the interior stuff is so close to the middle of the car and not that heavy, Besides if your running stock suspension it wont mater too much. Too much body roll to be woried about it lol.

Comment

yeah. i dont even want to spend any money on sound stuff anyways. i could have a tapedeck for all i care. i dont like the radio so that will be gone. there are so many tiny parts that can be replaced even power windows take up a lot of weight, shift boots or whatever. i personally would not go that far though. oh another thing is the antenna. but that can also be used as protection. (never know when crazies might attack)

Comment

Does anybody know how much the side windows weigh. It would be easy to make lexan windows for those. Also what does lexan do when crushed or broken like in a crash. You wouldnt want a bunch of sharp plastic peices if you every wrecked.

Comment

heat gun and gasket scraper. but i warn you, removing sound deadening material is a pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored* and its sticky and messy and not very fun. i did it in my mustang, took a few days just because i would get soo bored picking at that *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*, and i didn't have a heat gun, just a blowdryer. hahahah

Comment

what about taking the front bumper off? ive seen alot of people do that. i think its more becasue they dont want to break thier nice new body kits but it would save weight too.

removing the grill on some cars would help lighten things up too as well as removing the rear window wipers off of the s13 for example and the motor. might even take out your windshielf wiper fluid tank if you dont need it. theres alot of stuff you can do to the engine to lighten it up like remove ac compressor. and replace heavy cast iron parts for alluminum.

Comment

I was watching a show about the Pre-War German racecars and they said that when a car was too heavy to be in a race they would strip all the paint off the car to save a couple pounds. The cars had the silver of the bare metal. I think it was Auto Union or Benz that did this. And that is why you see so many silver German racecars from the past and the present.
                    LoL i think they saved weight from the paint because it prolly had led in it.....

Comment

On my supra, I'm just taking out the spare tire,and everything from the front seats back, out. except for the carpet, and plastic trim. And then I'm just getting a recaro speed seat for the driver(no passenger seat), an autopower roll bar, and a willans, 4 point harness.

Comment

If you want dry ice,just type in your area code here and get a list of dry ice retailers.Could be helpful for you guys.

Comment

on some old mercedes i saw on Top Gear Jeremy drove a old mercedes and he said the paint was like 20 kgs or something. but it was old so i doubt it is that bad now.

Comment

I believe that was also before the advent of "auto" paint.

Panda - Of course, if you're going to run in a drift comp that requires the car to be street legal then you're going to have to conform to the rules. That goes without saying. However, I didn't say a "drift comp" car

SMC - That was the post I was talking about; you rock at teh intraweb!

BTW - if you have dry ice on top to solidify the deadening and a friend with a heat gun underneath, the stuff practically falls off by itself.

Comment

MR is full of these fun facts, folks.

That was some heavy alliteration.

Comment

Working...
                              X