Auto to Mannual trans in a Ka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto to Mannual trans in a Ka

I was wondering how much it would cost to switch from an automatic to mannual transmission, just basic street perfomance no need for a heavy duty clutch. This is because I found a 1997 240sx for sale by my house, the only problem is its an auto.

I've seen estimates of $500-900 if you do it yourself. Double or triple that if you have someone do it for you.

There's a full write-up of everything you'll need on the zilvia.net FAQ section.

Comment

I was just pricing a slave cylinder for my 240 it was $35 and the pedal wit the connections will cost me about $3o

Comment

You can get the master pretty cheap new like 50 bucks, 20-30 for the slave (check PDM's website), you'll need the driveshaft, tranny, flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, tranny, clutch pedal, and brake pedal. All that shouldn't cost you that much. I got the driveshaft for 70 bucks, and the tranny can be had for bout 100-200 depending on where you get it. The hard line can be had for about 30 bucks new from dealership. The pedals aren't hard to find either, probably check ebay for those. I've got a brake pedal and flywheel if you need them. I'd let them go pretty cheap but the flywheel's kinda heavy so shipping might be expensive unless you're in the bay area and want to pick them up.

Comment

Thank you for all the info, i wish i lived around there i live in Delray Beach, Florida its like a 45min drive north of miami

Comment

I'm in the same situation as you I found a 240 but its a auto.

Comment

I am just wondering but how old are you guys.

Comment

im 21 and am preparring to do this. I have a donor car scouted out in the junkyard too. Get a service manual or at least one of the aftermarket repair books, they will have detailed drawings of all the systems you need.

Comment

im tanking of geting a sr20det and puting it into my auto 240sx how will that work cuase i need to put a clutch in

Comment

Originally posted by younginDrifter
                    im tanking of geting a sr20det and puting it into my auto 240sx how will that work cuase i need to put a clutch in
                    Well most engine importers will sell you a tranny already bolted to the engine. Then what you need are simply the clutch pedal, shifter and hydrallics to make it work. there are list online.. use the list of what you need with diagrams from the books i suggested earlier, should give you a good idea. If you can find one in the junkyard you should be in pretty good shape.

Comment

2 shops here in Ga will do a Ka auto to manual tranny swap for $450 includes labor. Most people just cut the break pedel b/c its too hard to swap it out.
                      Last edited by my 1 88 u; 07-15-2004, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap

Part Needed Source
                        Clutch Pedal and Brake Pedal with brackets
                        Local Junkyard or www.car-part.com

Master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder
                        New www.courtesynissan.com or parts store

Hard Brake Line from Master Cylinder
                        Local Nissan Dealer to save shipping, www.courtesynissan.com or make your own out of brake line with a flaring tool kit.

Rubber Brake line to Slave Cylinder
                        New www.courtesynissan.com or parts store

Upper and Lower shifter boots New www.courtesynissan.com or make custom
                        Interior Dash trim Local Junkyard or www.car-part.com
                        Driveshaft with carrier bearing bracket
                        Local Junkyard or www.car-part.com

Intimidating as this seems, the conversion from automatic transmission to 5-speed manual is not that difficult. Replace the auto brake pedal and add the clutch pedal – both bolt right in.
                        Cut a hole for the Master Cylinder and attach it to the firewall and clutch pedal, then run the hard line across the engine bay and down to the slave cylinder. You can eliminate the ‘bleeder block' or distribution block bolted to the frame rail with no ill effects. Bolt the slave cylinder to the transmission, and bleed the hydraulic system thoroughly. Remove the automatic shifter, and replace the trim piece with the 5-speed version with a boot.
                        Electrically, you need to disable the ignition key capture system by removing the steering column lower cover and simply unplugging the module. In the engine bay, one plug from the car main fusebox has two thick wires that have to be connected for the starter to work. It is plugged into a 2-wire harness section that runs down to the auto transmission.

Comment

now i might be wrong but would this but this would be somewhat harder in a FWD right? with all the linkages to the trani or am i wrong and its just about the same thing????

Comment

Working...
                          X