450HP out of a KA motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450HP out of a KA motor?

I've been thinking and I was wondering if 450 hp out of a KA motor would be too much (or too little) for a daily driver/weekend drifter? would i have to fortify the bottom end in order for the motor to handle that much, or will it be ok? a friend of mine said that 450 out of an SR would be nothing, but i dont really want to swap the engine (what with smog and all). someone tell me if my thinking is right and give me some tips. I appreciate it.

well as a general rule of thumb, driveablility goes down as power goes up... 450 is quite a substantial amount of power. i'm learning to drift in a volvo with a tad over 100hp. think about that for a while.

Comment

if 450 hp is not enough power for your daily driver you must be on crazy mofo. to get 450 out of a ka you would have to fortify everything, i saw one ka-t with 401 hp and his list of engine mods was like 10 lines long. and i don't know who your friend is, but 450 hp out of an sr is definitely something. i suggest you do some looking around, most peoples on here have cars with barely over 200 if even that. if you wanna know about getting power out of a ka i suggest going to NissanInfinitiClub.com it has a forum for ka's then a seperate one for ka-t's. very good forum, but read around some before you post and get some basic knowledge.

- peace

ps- sorry about not using proper grammar, i am too tired right now, i'll fix it later

Comment

450 out of either of them is a project and a half.

You seem to think all you're going to do is mail order a few parts, throw them in, tighten things down and let it rip. That's not the case.

Comment

go with ka its way dooable and has been done here longer, now the important part, have you ever driven a car with this much power? if not your gonna crash, catch on fire, and die cause its alot. secondly you dont need 450hp to drift an s chasis a stock ka is just fine, thirdly 450 is too much for drift to get the power your gonna have super lag or less lag and nos, its gonn ahave an unstable usless powerband for drift, if your dead set on turbo go for a t3 or maybet3/4 and tune it to like 250hp drive that. it will be fast and easy to drift, i still say stock ka, riliable and cheep 450hp is neither. p.s. sr is not answer to all they blow and crap out too, old motor+sitting for years+poor tuning=waste of cash

Comment

IMO just buy a turbo kit and you'll have between 200-250hp (or so i have heard of) then try drifting in it. after that you could answer this question yourself.

heres a site:

http://www.turbo-kits.com/240SX_turbo_kits.html

there about the same price of a sr swap but its the best thing you could do if you want to keep it legal.. OH YEAH and im pretty sure that the greddy kit is legal in all states.
            Last edited by BENJO; 07-14-2004, 09:23 AM.

Comment

450 out of a ka is doable... iver head of a guy getting 358 out of a KA in a race hardbody still NA. but thats a race motor, but just shows you the potential.

but like everyone says... it will be harder to drive if your not used to the power... like now you have to step on it to get the ka up and going... if you were to throw that much power and step on it... youd end up sideways in a heart beat.... try lower number and then move up in the world

Comment

450hp? Are you kidding me? You don't need anywhere near that kind of power in a 240SX of any kind.

A KA-t has done 500hp before, but it was BUILT.

For professional-level drifting, 250-275whp would be just fine.

For the street and for play, 230whp (about 7-8psi on a properly set-up KA24DE-t) is plenty. It's also reliable and low-stress. Oh, and in an S13, it requires custom work, so it's not a walk in the park.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                  450hp? Are you kidding me? You don't need anywhere near that kind of power in a 240SX of any kind.

A KA-t has done 500hp before, but it was BUILT.

For professional-level drifting, 250-275whp would be just fine.

For the street and for play, 230whp (about 7-8psi on a properly set-up KA24DE-t) is plenty. It's also reliable and low-stress. Oh, and in an S13, it requires custom work, so it's not a walk in the park.
                  What about for auto-x?

Comment

I think you guys also forgot about the most important part of building power on any motor. The more power you put out, generally the shorter the life of the motor. You plan on daily driving anything with 450 out of a 4 cylinder and you're asking for reliability issues.

450 out of a KA is possible, I've seen some around 400 before even without the crazy build ups at the bottom end, don't under estimate the internals of the KA they're pretty good, but you have to put care into a water injection system and so on to keep the temps at a reasonable level to keep your motor from blowing apart.

Still though 450 for auto crossing or drifting is still pretty excessive. If you plan on running a turbo that'd give you that much power, you'd have nothing at the bottom end. For auto-x some of those get pretty technical and require you to do pretty technical turns and such. The lag you'd feel from that power would be bad for your times.

Comment

yea i'm gonna go w/ grid on this one... 450hp is no easy task it is do able but it will take gobs and gobs of $$$ and as for auto-x it would still b hard 2 do. even getting 450 out of a sr20 is hard. everypart of the motor must b beefed up 2 support the huge amount of power. if u want a daily driver/weekend drift machine go w/ the sr20 if its not illegal in atlanta they are wonderful motors and if u upgrade parts of it u will hav one hell of a fun car for relitivly cheap...

Comment

Drop the compression ratio. 450 is going to need a big laggy turbo and lots of boost. This is the kind of power the pro level d1 guys are running with. So i would venture to say its not easy to control.

Comment

Originally posted by BENJO

there about the same price of a sr swap but its the best thing you could do if you want to keep it legal.. OH YEAH and im pretty sure that the greddy kit is legal in all states.

If theres one thats Carb legal then it would be news to me. I know greddy had one for the S14 that was carb pending. I dont know its status or how that translates to S13 legality.. but in most other states the turbo KA will be more legal then the SR.

Comment

450hp out of a KA!! You must have deep pockets. Both the KA and the SR are capable of 450hp, either way it'll cost you. Personally I feel that 450hp is too much power for daily driving. Like someone posted earlier you should be more realistic and shoot for around 250hp-275hp.
                            Last edited by jaydm180sx; 08-28-2004, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Not only the will the engine need the work, but the rest of the driveline as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X