No announcement yet.

450HP out of a KA motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you live in GA it shouldn't be a problem getting an SR20det to pass emissions as long as you have a catalytic converter. There are a few tuning shops in the Atl area that specialize in SR swaps and tuning that won't bust your head with prices.

Comment

You don't need 450hp out of a KA24 because it would cost too much to even get that much, especially if the motor is stock. It would be easier and cheaper just to drop the SR20 and a few mods to it.

Comment

i think we are just talking to someone who just like big numbers and bragging rights.
        450 hp is definatly excessive for ANY street 4 cylinder engine. try handling 250 hp and then come back.

Comment

Its A go

hey the Ka24de is a stable platform to build a 380 to 420 rwhp monster for under 6 G's , mine is a 420rwhp daily driver at 22psi.
          I have posted several times on how this is so. I love the car so much I'll do it again.
          First off your starting with 2.4L displacment cast iron block (2jz1 toyota supra engine is a cast iron block also) Remember their is no replacement for displacement.
          The weak spot on the Ka is the pistons(weak ring landings) even so with proper tuning many avoided that problem by retarding the timing .5 degress for every pound of boost(=combustion on the down stroke).So this is what i did for 6000 G's
          Supension:
          17" ADR Sukudo 8's wheels hankook ventus H405=$845
          Fastbrake Q45 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE(slotted dimpled rotters+pads)
          $299
          Duel piston Q45 calipers $185
          Mookee N1 pillow top coil overs $845
          Front rear lower strut bars Ebay $165
          Engine:
          Ross 8;1 COMP PISTONS
          Jgycustom top feed fuil rail $106
          Jgycustoms 550cc fuel injectors $65 a pop
          walbaro high pressure fuel pump $106
          mk1 6 puck stage 3 ceramic clutch $300
          pro racer duel flow racing radiator $289
          jimwolftechnologies.com ecu $500
          ford mustang cobra MAF $200
          jgsprecision inercooler $300
          turbo-calculator.com, turbo(t3 t4 lots of trim),turbo header and Bov=$1019
          1 year research 1 year build.
          www's to check out
          www.jgycustoms.com
          www.ka24develoment.com
          wwwka24de.com
          well thiers more but i gg

Comment

It is funny that people want to get 450HP here and 450HP there out of their cars. Have you ever ridden in something with 450HP? If you have, you would realize that 450HP is a pretty excessive figure for a daily driver and for a beginner Drifter. Good god, I lay down 342 at the wheels and it was SUPER hard to keep it under control in a pinch. So to the guy above, awesome. I like it that someone has done the KA. To the masses, think about your figures and the amount of money it takes to get there.

Comment

A better question is have any of them ridden in a lightweight car with 200 wheel horse power? i bet the answer would be few have...

Comment

nissanguy_24 A better question is have any of them ridden in a lightweight car with 200 wheel horse power? i bet the answer would be few have...
                now thats what im talkin about. youd be surprised to fat 200 hp is in a gutted AE86. this is what my friend is doing. im going to help him build his 5ag 20v. hes got a 83mm HKS stroker crank, carillo rods and is waiting to buy some hard to find 5ag pistons.
                200 hp is very doable with this setup and will be crazy in his gutted body.
                back to the subject, id suggest getting a turbo start at low boost(5-8 psi) and work your way up until you can handle that kinda power.

Comment

240CATION- I gotta cry foul on 22psi street-driven. How much lag is there? 1/4 mile times? Dyno sheets? Picture of your boost gauge running at 22psi with a mirror in front of the car and the hood off so I can see the turbo KA?

SMC's way of thinking is right... in a light car, wtf is the point of over 200whp? I know a KA24DE will run 220-240whp at 6-7psi, and that's PLENTY of horsepower to stay sideways or run high 12s. It's also plenty of horsepower for the street and runs the least risk of blowing expensive little pieces of motor all over the fast lane or mid-turn on your favorite touge.

Comment

i guess to sum it all up its doable...

its not cheap though
                    really not needed in a street car
                    and very unpractical..

especially in a street 240 and it would be hell to try to drift... friends car is sr@300... that thing isnt very nice to noobs like me.. (and not to be mean or anything) youre 15, id be more concerned with learning and researching more about the basics of drifting and such and not really big power numbers...

so much misconception with people thinking drifting requires huge power...

stock ka is good enough
                    Last edited by spinitsidewayz!; 07-26-2004, 11:23 PM.

Comment

LoL daily driver at that much HP, why? You get like 10mpg on that! You dont even need that much power, why would you, if a 200hp hachi can beat a 700hp Viper, than its all about the skill. If you want a daily driver your prob gonna drop like 10g's in the car and another 1200 a year for gasoline, its not worth it. And your 16? LOL im that old too but I have the common sense to just think how much that would be! Do you have a job? Your friend is prob 16 too so wrong source, just go to www.240sxforums.com IF you still wanna drop your college money on your "hella tight" ride so all the chicks at how much smoke and noise your car makes. Common commen sense please!
                      Last edited by NismoSigma; 07-26-2004, 11:56 PM.

Comment

everyone wants proof!

To respond to gridracetech that 420 rwhp is foul. # 1 I never said I daily drive @ 22psi daily I stated the car is my daily driver, I usaully daily drive around 12 psi .Take into consideration I'm not 16 years old but 40 and self employed www.straptech.com , with some disposable income to invest(could'nt see dumping $129,000 on new porsche turbo targa.)
                        Give me about a week and i'll put together all my digitel pics from start to finish including ups dropping off parts In the mean time visit www.ka-t.org for your proof of hi horse power 240sx ka24det performance . I know it makes alot of sr owners sour that they didnt have to go JDM to get all that power.
                        when peps talk about SR20det power rarely does any one question it and almost never ask for "proof" . It's bewildering how one would swap a bigger motor for a smaller , whats the cost for a sr swap ? $3300 for a decent front clip and another $2500 for the swap for what ? 275 rwhp if your lucky . then if you dont spend another 2g's on exhaust cooling ect.. you'll over heat and warp your aluminum block . I'm not downing Sr's their a great motor with awsome history ,its just that ka24de is closer to rb25det in size to pass up on building and proving how good that the KA24de-t (KA-T) is.

Comment

You do make a good point rarely do people question a high power SR.. perhaps there more used to them? i dont know, but hoenstly at that level both engines are about the same you know. It always bugs me to see these engine predujices in the nissan community.. and it goes both.. well all ways. You get this alot My preferred engine is superior to your preferred engine!

Anyways back to th topic, I for one would be very interested in learning all about your setup that your willing to share.

Also you are indeed the usual kid whos into nissans and such how did you get into them? an old Z car fan or so? anyways sorry for the questions.

Comment

Expandability

believe it or not I had a 89 nissan sentra auto stuck in first gear , bought it for 50 bucks off an employee . Put a hacked cold air in take and drove it with the intention to kill it! I couldnt kill it which really impressd me . So I started to research nissan motors specs on internals, cam durations,rod strengths,pistons ,stroke ect.
                            Most important factor was the interchangable parts between models , for instance I have Q45 front rotors and calipers I also could have done 300z brakes(more money) the Infinity J30 Lsd is a simple bolt on . plus the motor in altima's is the exact motor in my 240 minus the intake throttle body and a few fwd stuff basically the head and block is what i buy from the junk yard (the head in my 240 is from a 96 altima(248 240 duration cams) Plus once the suspension is properly tuned in my opinion nothing beats a 240 in handling specifically drifting think about it 240sx shares the same platform as skylines and the 300z cars.
                            Now concerning to much horse power ,lol is their such a thing ? why do you tune a car for to go slower ? no way having 420 rwhp is like having a large bank account with funds available ,if i need 10g's to blow its their ,if in need to dial up 10 pounds to spank some ricer revving me its their if you dont want to kill your self set the rev limiter to conservative rpm thats all . I do admit I drive my 240 like i stole it (used to) now i take it to the track in ledyard CT.like i said i will compile pics for you guys to check out . right now I'm setting up a cardomain account.peace

Comment

jdm > usdm for alot of people. i have a friend who had a ka24 and beefed it up but i think the turbo he had put on it blow the motor. he didnt he anything reinforced so that might be why. personally id rather have a sr20 than a ka, i fall into the jdm > usdm secition.

Comment

I agree

Go to ka24development.com that guy blew 2 motors in his quest for more ponies. Tuning is the key , detonation will pop pistons bend the strongest of rods disinergrate ring landings and crack blocks. Tuning is the key . I know of peps who smoked their Sr's and Ka's, hey tuning is the key . I cant repeat that enough. high boost =high heat=mucho cooling. Stock cooling is not enough , hey a G-Reddy large capacity oil pan doesnt hurt either.
                                I ran a hacked maf on my 550cc injectors @10psi @about 230-240 rwhp timing was retarted about 5 degrees never had a problem. their is never a guarentee your engine will survive what you do to it.All I know is that my car drifts with the best of them .
                                Well hell I paid $1700 for my 1995 240sx in auction condition, so i justified my investment has bring the value of the car to a dealer price,(dealer price for a decent 240sx 95 about $6700) its preference just dont rule out the ka before going sr ,personally I'd go rb25det for a swap.

Comment

Working...
                                X