KA24DE, Getting more power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KA24DE, Getting more power?

i want to know how i can get the most power out of a ka24de without how to be bill gates( low price upgrades i can do my self) thanks
    Last edited by the240sx!!; 07-19-2004, 06:31 PM.

Go to the 240sx boards and

Comment

You can't, sorry. That's the only thing I can tell you.

Comment

The most power you can get is if you, swap it for an SR20, srry thats all i can say, the ka24 is NOT power happy, in some cases they blow at minimal mods. just sell your ka24 and buy an sr20 if you want power. www.240sxforums.com they can help you too

Comment

NismoSigma, you are right about in some cases KAs blow with minimal mods. But I am also right to say that in some cases SRs blow with minimal mods. Both engines are stout and usually don't blow unless stupidity was prevalent.

the240sx!!- Cheap mods are: swiss-cheesed airbox, cams, custom-fabbed exhaust. The cams and exhaust will really help wake the car up in the upper echelons of the rev range. The swiss-cheesed airbox flows better, but I can't tell you if it's any better than stock.

Comment

wow.. no love for the KA here? sounds like a bunch of n00bs when you all talk like that.. :P

the KA is a decent motor. how little money are you looking to spend and what skills do you have? if you can weld and work with metal, you could fabricate yourself a turbo manifold, up pipe, down pipe, and your intercooler piping, and make yourself a turbo kit for around 1500 bucks with the turbo and everything.. run around 6psi or so on stock internals (which it can handle) and be hitting around 196 to the wheels (which will beat the SR's 175 to the wheels (no, it's not 205 to the wheels, it's 205 to the crank, shut up)).

if you don't want to go turbo, there are plenty of companies out there that make parts for the ka.. you can get cams, lighter cam gears, lighter crank pully, lightened flywheel, CF driveshaft, pistons, con rods, and be putting out about the same amount of HP.

it's really all about how much $ you have/want to spend. the KA is a decent motor, and anyone that tells you otherwise is horribly misinformed.

Comment

I am a KA benefactor. Any time I can speak well of it, I do. (Even more so now I actually have one )

He said "low price upgrades" he could do himself, and a custom turbo install more likely than not doesn't qualify for either criterion. Being absolutely truthful, there is no way to make big power out of a KA on the cheap.

All the NA mods you listed would only lead to ~170whp. (By the way, there are no cam gears available for the KA)

Comment

There are cams though, and you can adjust timing the super-ghetto way by skipping a notch on the chain either direction (which is something like 4.5 degrees of advance/*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*).

As for DIY mods - build yourself a header and send it to a T25 or something not-so-huge that you can get used with no play. For the low-low boost application you can make yourself some turbo piping end tanks and use a flushed-out AC condenser as the intercooler (if you can live without AC) and then run it right into the intake. From there, an A/F meter, oil temp, water temp, bigger injectors and fuel rail will be your low-budget engine management. If you can make heat shields for your intake and exhaust they will help with power loss from convection.

In making power there is a combination of things that must happen - knowing what parts you need, getting the right parts, and tuning the parts the right way. If any one of these is missing you'll have a motor built on 2 legs of a tripod.

For reliable cheap mods - Weight Reduction! You can improve your car's power to weight ratio tremendously without ever touching your engine. I'll soon be posting my "Comprehensive guide to weight reduction", so stay tuned!

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by totoro001
                  wow.. no love for the KA here? sounds like a bunch of n00bs when you all talk like that.. :P
                  spare me the "Only cool guys like the KA... and if you like the SR your a newb ricer" stuff. The fact is with out going turbo the KA will never be a great motor. And even when turbo its a decent power plant but its nothing special.

the KA is fine and all but KA guys need to drop the attitude.

EDIT: i apologise for my own attitude here, i didnt mean to come off as a jerk. Its just that whole attitude in the nissan community at the moment i dislike it. I didnt mean to go off on you man.
                  Last edited by nissanguy_24; 07-20-2004, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Comment

How does not lovin the KA make me a n00b? Well its nissan motor, good enough for me, but if you want power, and exotic'ness, than the SR20 is the way to go.

P.S.
                      Dont make rash statments before thinking it through, did'nt your parents ever teach you that?

Comment

NismoSigma- Read SMC's post. Jeez.

Totoro- I've noticed a holier-than-thou attitude emanating from your general direction. SMC has the right to put you back in your place.

Comment

...and on top of that everyone will back him because he is the f***ing man.

-MR

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
                            Cheap mods are: swiss-cheesed airbox, cams, custom-fabbed exhaust. The cams and exhaust will really help wake the car up in the upper echelons of the rev range. The swiss-cheesed airbox flows better, but I can't tell you if it's any better than stock.
                            lol that's classic. Gotta remember the swiss-cheesed airbox comment. lol

Comment

Swiss-cheesed airbox means the car is LOUD when you floor it. The exhaust is stock, but the car is louder than most cars I've ever heard, just because of the airbox. I'll probably replace it with an AEM short ram with cold-air extension simply because the AEM is CARB-legal and the airbox mod is illegal.

Comment

Working...
                              X