Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Flywheel vs Preformance

Greetings fellow 240 owners,

just blew out my clutch again in the 240, i think my problem was when i put the new clutch in the flywheel was junk. my car is sadly sitting in the parking lot of an autozone, because thats all the farther she could make it. after about 15miles there was no response from the accellerator at all. so i pulled into autozone and went up to the clerk to call for help and ended up doing price checks on the parts needed. "manual clutch kit $110, flywheel $80, ring gear $32" i can drag it home with a buddy so i wont have to pay the tow cost. parts will be available on the 28th, now my question is should i pass on the stock clutch and go with a preformance spec? how well will it work with the factory flywheel? i doubt i'll get a preformance flywheel because of durability/price factors. what should i do about this delema i'm having with burning clutches. i kind've blame it on a bad adjustment and a worn flywheel from the 1st time. I'm not sure how much damage was taken by the transmission either. so another question would be how many of you nissan owners use the stock flywheel in conjunction with a preformance clutch?

"I wanted a project car, but DAMN!"

Does or has anyone had a similar problem with their car?

Comment

so you just slapped a new clutch friction disc in without re-surfacing the flywheel? bad move.
      anyway, you know you can take the pressure plate and the flywheel to a machine shop and get them re-surfaced for about 30$. then all you need is the new disc and bearings. but that depends on how bad you smoked your flywheel and your pressure plate. and how worn the pressure plate release leaves are. and you won't know that till you get the clutch out, so take it out, and take it to a machine shop, that should save you about 200$. you can send me half

Comment

haha if i had the loot do send you i would, sadly i dont...

i'm pretty sure my flywheel is fried, it wasn't in the greatest shape when we did the 1st clutch change. So it probably wont help to have it turned and resurfaced. but thanks anyway

Comment

So you nissan owners, what clutch do you recommend?

Comment

ACT, Exedy, if you've money HKS, ORC, OS Giken <--2x disk applications

Comment

ACT Street or Heavy Duty. The Street kit will set you back $340 from 240SXParts.com.

If you want to upgrade the flywheel, you can get a Fidanza lightweight flywheel for $319.00 from Alamo Motorsports.

Comment

Originally posted by OH240SE
                So you nissan owners, what clutch do you recommend?
                Well, when i baught my 240 the clutch was COMPLETELY shot.. well i guess not completely, but at anything over 40mph, the wind would make my clutch start to slip :P

anyways, i went with an exedy clutch because it was cheaper than the OEM clutch kit, and they're great. you can get them off of ebay for around 120 shipped with a throw-out bearing and alignment tool. places like auto zone/napa/champion will usually do flywheel resurfacing for around 50 bucks.

if you want to go aftermarket flywheel, you can usually find them from 300-400 bucks or so, and they're normally 11lbs and aluminum (wicked light).. your engine will rev a lot faster and it does make a great improvement.

Comment

Thank you, i appreciate the info as always

Comment

I have heard you can have a machine shop shave 3-5 lbs easily from a factory flywheel. Just make sure they dont make any holes.

Comment

Working...
                    X