KA24DE Mod Dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KA24DE Mod Dilema

This might be a noob question, but I just got an S13 last week. And now here is my dilema, the Ka24de that the car came with is EXTREAMLY clean (its only has a 120K Km on it). But I am planing on getting a Sr down the road, and I want to mod my car, ie air intake, exhust system ect.
    my question is, if I do mod the car, will it later on be compatible with the sr? or shoudl i just drive stock till I get an sr in it, which will most likely be in like 2-3 years

It depends on what mods your talking about. Engine specific mods will not be transferable. Intake system (for the most part) headers porting cam shafts pullies ect.. but exhaust pipping suspension ect.. will all be fine.. honestly i sugest you just drive it stock until you find something you need to do. And if your KA is in really good shape i'd even consider turbo charging it.

Comment

Depends on ur budget first of all, if ur gonna do alot of engine mods on ur KA such as pistons, cams, rods an such. I would stick with the KA. u can get a t3-t4 hybrid turbo which will bump u up to atleast 250+ when coupled with an intake and an exhaust depending on the boost u run and how u drive it. Depends on how much u are willing to spend and how much work u are willing to do to it.

when u get ur SR just be careful how much boost u put into it. You dont want to have to tear it apart and fix ur rings.
      The great thing is u dont need a different transmission to swap the engines, how i love that about the 240s.

If your car is an autoKA then i'd tell you to definately consider the SR swap with the manual, but if urs is manual then stick with it till its about to die and then switch. Most nissan engines half life around 150k. Keeping that in mind just remember it all depends on ur budget. I've got a wish list for my car just as everyone else does but most of our problems are not being able to afford the parts we so desire.

Comment

Heh heh heh. At least you didn't make a noob mistake by saying that the instant you got your 240 you'd install an SR. What you're doing is a very good plan. Getting the catback and building up the more universal parts that'll work for the SR and KA in your car before the SR. It was about 2 years before I bought my SR and another year and a half that it was on a stand getting rebuilt (I took my time since I've got school too). If the motor's in good shape, run it and be thankful you have a good motor. Alot of guys get cornered into a motor swap and trust me the instructions are easy but the parts that need to be replaced, troubleshooting, and the physical labor's a PITA. Kudos to your solid planning. I would also recommend getting the fuel pump and fuel system in better shape before installing the SR so there's less junk you'd have to worry about.

Rant:
        Correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like most 240 guys plan on buying an SR regardless of if their motor still runs properly and think that just the SR will make the car drift. Not good logic fellas. Not to target you MOE101 specifically but in general I've seen this trend especially with the recent over exposure of drifting and the SR in 240s. The DE is a great motor and it's a very good motor to learn on. If you plan on drifting you seriously do not need savage power to get a drift.

Comment

OK here is the deal, I will soon be comming in contact with a little more than $1000 cnd
          and what what I want to do is get an air intake, flowthrew catlitic converter, performance muffler, roaters,capilers, and rims. (I know rims are not performance, but the ones mine came with are messed up), so just wanted to know if I get thouse things for my KA will they be compatible with the SR?

BTW my car is manual, I refuse to buy an auto

it looks like most 240 guys plan on buying an SR regardless of if their motor still runs properly and think that just the SR will make the car drift
          heh dont worry, I plan on fully killing my KA before I do the sr swap

and I have been a drifting fan long before this whole fad thign started, its just that I finally got the funds to purchase an s13, going to school = poor a$$
          Last edited by MOE101; 07-21-2004, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I agree, the SR don't make the drifter, the driver does. I would drive the KA, why not? It's a good, reliable engine. Specially since you are going to school and you are poor, the KA is for you.

On an unrelated note, and not to target you, but isn't it funny that EVERYONE has been into Drifting long before the fad started? Where are the people that got into it because of the fad? Beats me.

Comment

i got into drifting when i slid sideways out of my mom when i was born. j/p but id say stick with the ka until your ready for the sr20 or until it blows up.

Comment

well I admit I got into it around 2000-2001
                but I live in Vancouver Canada, and to this day I have yet to meet a "real" drifter
                so I am not drifting just cuz I saw bubba do it one day and decided it was the cool thing to do.

Comment

do suspension and LSD first. then do your cold air and such. the KA is powerful enough as it is (for spinning the tires). no fun adding your 5 hp (by doing intake/exaust) if you're still burning only the inside tire and getting body roll like a fat chick on a rollercoaster.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoPower
                    i got into drifting when i slid sideways out of my mom when i was born. j/p but id say stick with the ka until your ready for the sr20 or until it blows up.
                    haha, i didn't know we came out sideways

Comment

as I mention before, I live in canada and thus own a candian which comes with a VLSD, I think ( is there any way to confirm this) even with a VLSD, should I upgrade higher, or leave it as is?
                      I rather not be messing with things what aint broke

Comment

Originally posted by MOE101
                        as I mention before, I live in canada and thus own a candian which comes with a VLSD, I think ( is there any way to confirm this) even with a VLSD, should I upgrade higher, or leave it as is?
                        I rather not be messing with things what aint broke
                        if the diff is in good shape new fluid would be worth the $. make sure you get fluid designed for the nissan vlsd.

Comment

Research first

Hear are some www's to check out.
                          www.jgstools.com/turbo/
                          www.ka24development.com
                          www.jimwolftechnologies.com
                          www.ka24de.com
                          www.jgycustoms.com
                          www.ineedparts.com(duel flow high performance radiators)
                          my 1995 makes 420 rwh and is my daily driver 1 year research 1 year build 5000 bucks later and i spank just about anything out their.
                          Last edited by 240CATION; 07-24-2004, 08:17 AM.

Comment

just a note, the ideal exhaust for a N/A car is probalby not the ideal exhaust for a turbo car. You may see the largest gains with say 2 1/4" normally aspirated, but you'd want to run the biggest, least restrictive exhuast you possibly could with a turbo setup...probalby 2 1/2 or 3".

Comment

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it ain't broke, don't go fixing it. Waste of money. You can do the same thing in Drifting with the KA until you get good enough to need more power. Do everything else that you need to do then do the SR.

Comment

Working...
                              X