make more horsepower w/o spending money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make more horsepower w/o spending money

haha i found this site that has ten so called "tricks" that cost nothing that could add horsepower to you car.

IMO some of these tricks are pretty stupid.. like removing your air intake filter? haha but i guess its worth a look

why dont u post the url so everyone else can see it too?

Comment

OOPS haha i thought i did

here you go

http://www.royalpurple.com/dragsport1/ds1p1.html

Comment

sorry to say but alot of those sound like total bs.

Unbolting the exhaust system? come on, if the noise doesn't kill you, getting busted by the pigs will.

The octane booster isn't exactly free either, nor would I use the NOS junk as a fuel system cleaner, it sucks. Get the greased lightning or redline stuff. Those two work out of the many dozen or so fuel system cleaners I've tried.

Pulling the air filter too? dude I can smell bad news just lurking around with bad advice like that. I wouldn't even do that at the track let alone on the street.

Advancing the timing is a good way to dial up some power but keep in mind you also increase the chance of knocking and serious damage to your motor in the long term if advanced too aggressively without a careful watch on how your motor is behaving and I'm not even talking about using knock sensors since they're too damn inaccurate (stock ones).

Shimming the wastegate is also a bad idea if you decide to slap on one too many washers. 10 psi is already getting damn close to maxing out the stock IC and injectors on the redtop. I can already see some average joe thinking "oh I can slap a few washers in there and it'll be fine" and by a few washers we're talking packages of em.

The thermostat is another bad one. You think it'll buy you power, although it will decrease the motor temperatures, you also keep the coolant temperatures low enough to keep you in fast idle mode and your mileage goes to crap. Knowing that you should run at least a 91 octane fuel in your tank with an SR and with current gas prices, that's not a freebie at all. You'd just be better off with keeping the thermo stock and saving that money you'd otherwise be wasting and spend it on a real performance part.

Comment

yeah some of them are total bullsh!t..

Comment

I stopped reading when I saw
            KA=Kan't Accelerate

Comment

um okay, i haven't read the article yet, but removing your cat converter forsure adds acceleration, and reset ecu is worth a try.

Comment

i removed my belt driven fan,took off the ac and put on a test pipe.. my ka can walk on any stock ka .and even ka's with intake and exhaust.. thats all i can think of when ppl say free power. i agree with most others about most of that beein bs.

Comment

Life with no ac in NJ, heavens no!

Comment

the only one that seemed worth it was the "unbolting the exhaust system" being loud? depends i guess...my friends with srt-4's run open down pipes and nothing else...not too loud...sounds jus like an aftermarket exhaust and only get's REALLY loud at WOT...if i had to compare it to an exhaust system it would be like the Tanabe Racing Medallion....relavtivly loud but LOUDER @ wot...

i did open headers on my civic and my car was louder than the srt-4's...

Comment

Loud is a 4ag running open headers. I was driving under a tunnel with my friend and blasted the throttle and he thought a shotgun went off. Then he had to change his pants

Comment

IMO, there's really no such thing as "free" power - exhaust mods can get you tickets, intake mods like removing the filter are bad news, shimming the wastegate adds a lot of stress to a system taht wasn't engineerred to handle that from the factory, and putting in a test pipe can cause you to fail emissions.

If you want increased performance for free, weight reduction is really the only reasonable option, IMO. (check out the link in my sig)

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with MR.

But... if you're not in California, drill some 2" diameter holes in your 240's airbox and gain a little power. If you're in California, just hope the smog guys don't notice it. (It's illegal to modify the stock intake here. Ghey, I know.)

Comment

i used to reroute my A/C pipe into my intake manifold and used CO2 cartridges pointed at the rad and intake on my old hachigo... it felt like i supercharged it. i also took off the filter and exhaust after the headers and i removed many of the body panels and the hood completely and simply got a flat underbody kit for the car. took a full 2.5 seconds off the quartermile

Comment

Originally posted by scirocco
                              i used to reroute my A/C pipe into my intake manifold and used CO2 cartridges pointed at the rad and intake on my old hachigo... it felt like i supercharged it. i also took off the filter and exhaust after the headers and i removed many of the body panels and the hood completely and simply got a flat underbody kit for the car. took a full 2.5 seconds off the quartermile
                              No you didn't, and no it didn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X