SUPERCHARGER vs. TURBO for Drifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPERCHARGER vs. TURBO for Drifting?

this may be a stupid question, and it may have been asked b4, in which case, please direct me to the proper thread. any way

which one is better for drifting, a supercharger or a turbocharger. If i am correct, a supercharger provides higher power throughout the powerband, but a turbo will provide more power through a smaller band. my question is, for the application of drifting, which one serves its purpose better and why? thanx for your help.

for what car?

I'm not aware of any super charger for a sr or ka or rb motors. ????????????????

Comment

Re: for what car?

Originally posted by 240CATION
      I'm not aware of any super charger for a sr or ka or rb motors. ????????????????
      hmm i have the strangest feeling i know you from somewhere. why did u change sn? u get kicked out agin?

Comment

A turbo has almost zero parasitic drag on the engine, whereas a supercharger runs off the crank to make boost. Thus, small-displacement engines can't really make tons of power with a supercharger because they will reach a level where the supercharger load no longer makes power; even a tiny motor can run a turbo, though.

Extremely simplified:
        Supercharger= No lag, but drag. Good for engines of larger displacement. (3.0L+, generally)
        Turbocharger= No drag, but lag. (Which can be reduced by carefully choosing sizing.)

Comment

couldn't have said it better myslef what gridrace tech said. personally i like turbo's better.
          something i want to add also, i htink supercharger compresses less power than turbo, but cost less. a turbo, you would need a kit whereas a supercharger is just bolt on w/o a kit.

Comment

blitz

blitz mkes a kit for the RB.. saw a twin turbo supercharged RB insane! good way to put it grid!

Comment

one thing to keep in mind, the supercharger doesn't reach full boost untill very high in the powerband, like almost redline. where a turbo can make full boost very low in the powerband. having owned turbo cars and driven a few supercharged cars the turbo cars generally have more kick right as you hit boost, where as supercharged cars feel more gradua, because they never really "hit" full boostl. supercharged cars make power alot like N/A cars do. where turbo cars is like a switch. boost hits and you're in power but when you're not boosting its slow.
              if you don't understand then go drive some blown cars. you'll get it VERY fast.

Comment

Super or Turbo that is the question

The information above is correct, GRiDRaceTech summed it up pretty well. Turbo motors make better peak power, and when it comes on you feel a sudden jolt of power, you know its there. Supercharged motors just add to your whole powerband, so you get a consistent flow of extra power. Supercharging isnt as much fun or efficient as a turbo, but it is useful. I would say for drifting applications a super might do a little better, I am sure many will disagree with me. With a wider powerband you would have a little more freedom in your choice of gears, the power would be more predictable and consistent and like many have said in this forum before, you dont need a whole lot of power to drift, so awesome peak hp is not really needed. Turbo's are easier to come by in most import applications, I have never heard of a super for an SR or KA motor. There are some good superchargers out there for import motors like Honda's, and if your running an American V-8 then you can find all sorts of Superchargers. When it comes down to it, its all about preference of the driver. If you like the Turbo then go with the Turbo. I would drive some cars that are supered and some that are turboed like Tirefried stated, that would be the only way to find out what you really like. Also Centrifical supers have different performance characteristics then Roots blowers. I would drive these different types as well. Roots blowers make all their power down low, (like right from idle) and dont function in the higher RPM's as well. Centrifical works better in the higher RPM band then the roots. I hope this helps, and anyone what finds any info that I have stated wrong, please educate me.

Lucidstrife

Comment

you have it right, i would say the best for drifting easier would be a roots supercharger. you need alot fo driver skill to control a turbo engines power band. unless you have one of those almost instant response systems. but turbos are more efficient. for a small displacement motor, if you size your turbo correctly (SMALL) and don't have a ton of piping and a properly sized intercooler, you should make good boost from about 2500rpm, and thats pretty damn good.
                  the easiest way to drift is with a nice linear smooth powerband. its much more controlable.

Comment

Re: Re: for what car?

Originally posted by 180sx2nr8u
                    hmm i have the strangest feeling i know you from somewhere. why did u change sn? u get kicked out agin?
                    Nope always been 240cation I usaully post in 240sxforums.com.sorry

Comment

super

turbo is not really free hp.It has got to restrick your exhaust flow in order to spin the turbo, which takes hp away to do. but when it does spin it makes goood power. now, I have a roots style blower on a small block and they say it takes about 100 hp power to spin the blower but my engine makes about 756hp.
                      so it makes alot of hp. also,when you are driving along at normal speeds the blower is not making boost.it is making vacuum. but when you put your foot in the gas,it make boost like no tomorrow.
                      my car will break loose from a dead stop or 100 mph. The blower makes power as long as you hold the gas down. The power is smooth but quick. good luck with your choice.

Comment

like people said before superchargers run off the engine and have alot of drag but turbos run off of exaust gas. If you have a big displacment engine it can turn a suprcharger more efficiently then a small displacment car. But for me i would rather go turbo all the way

Comment

TURBO!

turbos are more efficent! they do not heat the air as much as a supercharger.. i know hard to believe... which means coolers intake temp = more oxygen= big bang! its all personal prefernce... hope i helped

Comment

if you had a turbo that kicked in from like 4k revs to 8k (redline) thatd be pretty much where your revs would be when you were drifting so it wouldnt matter about turbo lag. would this be an inteligent theory or am i talking sh@t?
                            personally i love my turbo. if you want economy just keep out of the higher revs and if you want to scare a passenger when youre crusing at low speeds in high gears then knock it back a couple of gears, hit the gas an scare the bejesus out of them.

Comment

there is still SOME lag tho if you're above 4K unless you're ballbearing and a small turbo... my girlfriend just picked up a supercharged cobra yesterday, holy *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* that thing is fun. its a centrifigal supercharger so it doesn't make good power till high rpms but damn it pulls hard. its a Vortech V-1 S-Trim. the cobra stock has 305 hp, the blower adds 137 according to vortech, so she's at 440 at the flywheel, then she's got exaust which should add in the ballpark of 10-15 hp (it really makes a difference on forced induction cars. so that means that my girlfriend has more HP than all of us hahahah

Comment

Working...
                              X