This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streched Tires; (What does this do?)

I've noticed that a lot of Trueno(i like it better than saying 86) owners have streched smaller tires over there rims, does this do anything to the characteristics of the car, or increase uneven wear, or is it merely cosmetic?

Having a strecthed tire (to some degree) increases response and reduces roll over of the tire. It's not only Hachis that do this but almost all drift cars strecth their tires. I've noticed a difference in my car...I used to run 275 wide tires in the front but later switched over to 245. The tires are on a 9" rim...I noticed that the front tires did seem more responsive and while drifting it was more controllable.

Comment

Stretched tires are the poor man's way of increasing tire rigidity. It decreases contact patch and increases the possiblity of uneven wear due to uneven heat dissipation. The decreased contact patch makes the tire easier to break free, but may increase the tendency of the tire to burst or wear through prematurely.

REVLIMIT- The 275s were on the bare minimum of wheel width. The tread width is rated at around 11" for a 275. The 245s are on the maximum of wheel width, but still have a tread section width of about 9.7". The 275s were underused and the car was overtired. The 245s are about right for the Camaro's size and weight and made for a good match, thus the increase in response and control.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
        [B]Stretched tires are the poor man's way of increasing tire rigidity. It decreases contact patch and increases the possiblity of uneven wear due to uneven heat dissipation. The decreased contact patch makes the tire easier to break free, but may increase the tendency of the tire to burst or wear through prematurely.
        In a sense you are correct, but I would agree more with REVLIMIT. I personally run "hipari" (stretched) tire myself..and for MOST of us that can't afford new tires every weekend..we use what we can get and this is THE BEST way to go about it without spending $$$$. And what you stated is more true for road racing..NOT for drifting. Back in Japan almost everyone I knew drifting had hipari tire...the pros we know as well. So believe what you want to..but I speak from experience as does REVLIMIT. Having the tire stretched increases sidewall stiffness dramatically. which means there is no play (roll-over) in the tire to throw off your control. (I run 235's on a 9" and 215's on an 8")

Edited for better tact.
        Last edited by BooZTT; 08-01-2004, 02:40 AM.

Comment

These are "hipari" right?
          Attached Files

Comment

[i]So GRiDRaceTech...sorry mister rich guy.[/B]
            Rich? Not quite.
            Contact patch applies anytime you're driving a car, not just during road racing.

Ziptyed- Yes.
            Last edited by GRiDRaceTech; 08-02-2004, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
              Contact patch applies anytime you're driving a car, not just during road racing.
              You're argueing about something we don't care about. We do this with our tires because it gives better feel and response while drifting and as an added bonus we can run deeper offsets getting more dish and still being allowed to clear the wheel wells with our cars slammed to the ground. This isn't even an arguement. What I stated is what we do and why we do it. Thousands upon thousands of people do exactly what we do in Japan and have for years..pros and beginners alike.

And Ziptyed yes that is exactly hipari tire.

Edited for better tact.
              Last edited by BooZTT; 08-01-2004, 02:40 AM.

Comment

I dont know why you consider stretching tires to be for poor people only. Every time a pro team has come to drift here in Hawaii I see some of them running stretched tires (Signal, DX, etc). Not all, but yes some of them do. Now I know all these guys are sponsored, so the guys running the stretched tires must be doing it for other reasons than cost. I say its a personal preferance, possibly experimentation, but has nothing to do with being rich or poor. I've been messing with stretched tires in the rear and I think it helps. No I'm not sponsored, and yes I run free tires, but regardless, I like the way it feels. It reduces the sidewall flex and makes the tires more responsive. When I compare 245/50/16's on a 16x8 to 225/50/16's on the same rim, the smaller width stretched tire was better for me. Maybe thats just because of my type of car, or my style, but there it is. I run 42psi and have no problems with uneven tread wear or premature damage.

I think the reason the 245's work better for Chris in the front is because of his style. Like me he does a lot of 4 wheel slides. I think for a car that had more steering angle and a different style of drifting the bigger tires like 275's would be good.

Comment

I think it attracts the girls, and everyone knows thats what Drifting is all about.

Comment

hahaha yup

Comment

Damn...Ghost just said our secret O_o haha

Comment

i like how i have broken the bead on two of my tires already on the street. stretched tires are kinda sucking for me for every day drive.

Comment

Some people can't handle when there knowledge is questioned. I'm sorry I drove the issue home. Go to Japan and learn a few things..that's the only advice I will give you GridRace Tech.

Edited due to moderator making a legitimate point and tired of rediculous responses.
                          Last edited by BooZTT; 08-01-2004, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Stop the personal attacks and stay on topic.

Comment

Originally posted by pita bread
                              Stop the personal attacks and stay on topic.
                              Ditto guys. remember the rule dissagreements are fine but you need to be respectable and refrain from personal attacks.

Comment

Working...
                              X