Setting up a '94 RX-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a '94 RX-7

Any suggestions on what should i do first to a '94 stock RX-7? I just bought it, and i'm kinda new to drifting, and bought this car just for it.

Learn how to drive the car before you try to drift the car.

Comment

what mr. tsuchiya(drift king) said about drifting of course, "you have to start off with the suspension (coilovers, sway bars, bushings is optional and strut bars), change the brake pads and brake fluid. thats about it for the basics.... and if your lucky enough to be able to spend some more, upgrading the cpu, exhaust system, seats, steering wheel and shift knob maybe a good idea also. later you might wanna change lsds in the future. anyway what i want you to understand is.... you dont need loads of money to be able to enjoy the sport of drifting" (MY *Censored**Censored**Censored* ITS NOT LOADS OF MONEY)

Comment

haha, i've had this car for about 4 months now, and it's my daily driver. It's practically brand new with only 50,000 miles from it's original owner, so i assume I can't do too much damage.

Just wondering, is all.

Comment

oh yea, and good choice on your car there buddy, WE HAVE ANOTHER ROTARY BROTHER~! i drive a s5 t2 aka fc3s myself good luck on the car man

Comment

i would pdate the cooling system and replace gaskets, then possibly a better exhaust manifold. it may seem like a lot but rotary engines love blowing up, and this is a lot cheaper compared to 4+ new engines.

Comment

rotary engines do not "love to blow up". people misunderstand them completely. like ive said before the rotary engine just needs to be taken care of better than conventional engines because it is sensitive to overheating. i've been working with rotary engines for a while and my mechanic has been working with them for over twenty years. what you need to do is sit down with your rx7 and have a talk. listen to what it tells you. have it disspell any rumors about it.

no but seriously if you just stay on top of things you won't have any major problems. its not like you can take care of it and just have it blow up for no reason.

Comment

oh yea, where are you located superflyz?

Comment

Originally posted by spiritofFC3s
                  rotary engines do not "love to blow up". people misunderstand them completely. like ive said before the rotary engine just needs to be taken care of better than conventional engines because it is sensitive to overheating. i've been working with rotary engines for a while and my mechanic has been working with them for over twenty years. what you need to do is sit down with your rx7 and have a talk. listen to what it tells you. have it disspell any rumors about it.

no but seriously if you just stay on top of things you won't have any major problems. its not like you can take care of it and just have it blow up for no reason.
                  its people who dont know that rotary engines need to be babied that blow em' up

Comment

Make sure to take care of it. As much time it drives it needs to rest. Upgrade the cooling system, if its a twin turbo i suggest getting a bigger intercooler and replace and worn out parts. Then start from there.

Comment

Heh, well, they are VERY susceptable to failure. Only because they are too delicate. Used to be all you had to do was keep oil in em and coolant and you could run the dogpoo out of em. Now with the third gens, it is ALOT more involved than that. There is no leeway with a Rotary.

If yours is stock then forget about ANY other mods than cooling ones for the time being. A nice fat radiator is the FIRST thing you want to do. I put a Fluidyne in mine and it is greato. I would also check the recall for the air seperator tank, hoses, vacuum lines (but with 50k on it you may not need that, then again, it is stock and the temps will harden hoses within 35k miles) look at your harness, get someone to check boost pattern, put a vented hood on it (because less hot air is good under that hood) and then, only after all that, can you start to do anything else. A single turbo kit would be a wonderful addition to power AND to cooling. The twins were that absolute worst idea that Mazda ever came up with for that car. Just no room to get rid of the heat. Third gens are the worst vehicles when it comes to dispersing heat. Funny thing is, they are the most affected by heat, so its a crappy trade off. They also require the most tuning of any car I have ever seen. There is no margin for error, one wrong adjustment and "poof" they are up in smoke. Come to my house and look at my R1, prime example. 2 engines in a year, 4 in it's lifetime and it was tuned at Pettit so I know it was right. Things get old, hoses split and whammo, you either have a fire or blown engine. Then again, I lay down round 342 at the wheels on good days.

Oh and since your car only has 50k miles on it, I would watch it every step of the way. Rotaries dislike sitting for long periods of time. Dries out all sorts of little seals and Rotary tomfoolery in that engine. Seeing as that's a 94 model, that's around 5k miles a year average, waaaay too low for a Rotary. Now if he started the car every other week or so, let it reach operating temp and then maybe tooled around the neighborhood for a bit, then it would be ok. See what most people did, since 99% of the population has no idea about Rotaries, is they bought the cars, parked them in their garages, let em sit there then got into them, started em up and roared off down the road like the Road Warrior thinking they were like piston engines and could take that. That is why 99.9% of all third gens have new motors in them. They never let em reach operating temp before stunt driving maneuvers were executed therefore popping the engines. So keep an eye on that because low miles don't always mean good miles with a Rotary.

You will need to upgrade the suspension, though the factory is good enough for government work on beginning Drifting. My R1 suspension is so hard it's scary. The 94's suspension was looser, the R2 was a shade of it's former self compared to the R1 due to customer complaints and general whining about the stiffness. I added some Tein springs and mine is more than enough. Be extra careful of wheel hop too. FD's do NOT like that one bit and you will be really upset if you bust a rear end.

I would have not suggested an FD for a beginning Drifter. I wouldn't suggest an FD for anyone under the age of 25 and with a phatty job to support that car. They are highly expensive to buy, maintain and to upgrade. Everything is way too high. That's why mine sits right now, tired of funneling money into it. They are also not the easiest cars to learn how to slide. The "sweet spot" is so small compared to a 240, Corolla or even an FC. They come around on you suprisingly fast, hard to hold a good slide unless you get it perfect and once they get wide, they are hard to bring back in. Add that to the extremely high cost should you wreck it, hit a curb or another car in mid slide and you have a potential wallet Vampire on your hands. For the price of the FD you could have built a superbly competent 240, with SR conversion, that would have been a much better can to learn with. If you are not a learner then the FD is a great car to further you ability with, just as good as an SR built 240 with suspension. They are about the same.

But, on the other hand, there is nothing like an FD. The feeling of just plain out menace and the stares of the people when you uncork that car with 3 inch exhaust, launch a fireball from said exhaust and blast down the road. There ain't nothing like it in the world. Not to mention the "What is it" questions and the thumbs up you get wherever you go. No other car feels that way or gives you the feeling of invincibility like an FD. You feel like Batman on a speed binge through Gotham. So love them or hate em, they are something to behold.
                      Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 07-31-2004, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                        Heh, well, they are VERY susceptable to failure. Only because they are too delicate. Used to be all you had to do was keep oil in em and coolant and you could run the dogpoo out of em. Now with the third gens, it is ALOT more involved than that. There is no leeway with a Rotary.

If yours is stock then forget about ANY other mods than cooling ones for the time being. A nice fat radiator is the FIRST thing you want to do. I put a Fluidyne in mine and it is greato. I would also check the recall for the air seperator tank, hoses, vacuum lines (but with 50k on it you may not need that, then again, it is stock and the temps will harden hoses within 35k miles) look at your harness, get someone to check boost pattern, put a vented hood on it (because less hot air is good under that hood) and then, only after all that, can you start to do anything else. A single turbo kit would be a wonderful addition to power AND to cooling. The twins were that absolute worst idea that Mazda ever came up with for that car. Just no room to get rid of the heat. Third gens are the worst vehicles when it comes to dispersing heat. Funny thing is, they are the most affected by heat, so its a crappy trade off. They also require the most tuning of any car I have ever seen. There is no margin for error, one wrong adjustment and "poof" they are up in smoke. Come to my house and look at my R1, prime example. 2 engines in a year, 4 in it's lifetime and it was tuned at Pettit so I know it was right. Things get old, hoses split and whammo, you either have a fire or blown engine. Then again, I lay down round 342 at the wheels on good days.

Oh and since your car only has 50k miles on it, I would watch it every step of the way. Rotaries dislike sitting for long periods of time. Dries out all sorts of little seals and Rotary tomfoolery in that engine. Seeing as that's a 94 model, that's around 5k miles a year average, waaaay too low for a Rotary. Now if he started the car every other week or so, let it reach operating temp and then maybe tooled around the neighborhood for a bit, then it would be ok. See what most people did, since 99% of the population has no idea about Rotaries, is they bought the cars, parked them in their garages, let em sit there then got into them, started em up and roared off down the road like the Road Warrior thinking they were like piston engines and could take that. That is why 99.9% of all third gens have new motors in them. They never let em reach operating temp before stunt driving maneuvers were executed therefore popping the engines. So keep an eye on that because low miles don't always mean good miles with a Rotary.

You will need to upgrade the suspension, though the factory is good enough for government work on beginning Drifting. My R1 suspension is so hard it's scary. The 94's suspension was looser, the R2 was a shade of it's former self compared to the R1 due to customer complaints and general whining about the stiffness. I added some Tein springs and mine is more than enough. Be extra careful of wheel hop too. FD's do NOT like that one bit and you will be really upset if you bust a rear end.

I would have not suggested an FD for a beginning Drifter. I wouldn't suggest an FD for anyone under the age of 25 and with a phatty job to support that car. They are highly expensive to buy, maintain and to upgrade. Everything is way too high. That's why mine sits right now, tired of funneling money into it. They are also not the easiest cars to learn how to slide. The "sweet spot" is so small compared to a 240, Corolla or even an FC. They come around on you suprisingly fast, hard to hold a good slide unless you get it perfect and once they get wide, they are hard to bring back in. Add that to the extremely high cost should you wreck it, hit a curb or another car in mid slide and you have a potential wallet Vampire on your hands. For the price of the FD you could have built a superbly competent 240, with SR conversion, that would have been a much better can to learn with. If you are not a learner then the FD is a great car to further you ability with, just as good as an SR built 240 with suspension. They are about the same.

But, on the other hand, there is nothing like an FD. The feeling of just plain out menace and the stares of the people when you uncork that car with 3 inch exhaust, launch a fireball from said exhaust and blast down the road. There ain't nothing like it in the world. Not to mention the "What is it" questions and the thumbs up you get wherever you go. No other car feels that way or gives you the feeling of invincibility like an FD. You feel like Batman on a speed binge through Gotham. So love them or hate em, they are something to behold.
                        ::wipes away tear:: Very nicely said my friend...

Comment

I agree

I have seen the problems the rotary motors have when they have been sitting a while. A buddy of mine bought a FB from a ex-neighbor of ours, he said my buddy could have it if he could getting it running and drive it off his property. The ex-neighbor said that it had been sitting for almost two years. We did a quick tune up not really knowing what to expect, and after a little bit we got it running but it was belting out smoke like nothing I had ever seen before. My ex-neighbor told us he didnt know too much about the motors, but he said that the seals need to re-lube themselves and hopefully they will seal up again. At the time we were young and this was my buddies first car, he didnt even know how to drive stick so he asked me to drive it home, and he followed in my Camaro. This thing almost killed me at a light, because it was a Summer night in Phoenix AZ it was after dark, but still hot so I left the windows open. Big mistake This thing didnt wanna idle so I was heel and toeing it to keep it running (standard practice for me the car I learned how to drive manuel on didnt idle either, so its second nature.) and the smoke got so bad I couldnt see out the front window. I could barely see the Red glow of the street light and the red glow of the SUV in front on me, meanwhile I am suffacating in my friends car, while he is sitting 5 car lengths back in my ride trying to stay out of the exhaust. When the light changed green I excaped the cloud of smoke and hauled butt down the road. I went back to my ex-neighbors house, because I didnt feel like getting pulled over in a car with expired tags. My buddy told me that the smoke was so bad that I was a mile down the road before he could see well enough to make a left out of the intersection. Oddly enough we went out there the next day and started the car up after checking all the fluids and it smoked for about 2 minutes then cleared up, and hasnt had that problem ever since. Although it went through about 3 quarts of oil for every gas pump visit even though it was my buddys daily driver. The clutch went out on it and that was the last straw for my friend to park it. The moral of this long story is dont park your rotory for a long time nor buy one that has been sitting unless you are prepared for the trouble it will bring you.

Lucidstrife

Comment

Re: setting up a '94 RX-7

Originally posted by Superflyz
                            Any suggestions on what should i do first to a '94 stock RX-7? I just bought it, and i'm kinda new to drifting, and bought this car just for it.

Radiator Upgrade

Oil Cooler Upgrade

better oil in engine\transmission\diffrential like Red Line and cooling agents such as evans for Water Cooling

Steel braided Brake lines and upgraded Brake pads

Suspention Adjustable Shocks and Springs(high Rate for drift cars)

Lightening or removing weight Striping Interior and Useless pieces To lighten curb weight

Camber adjusters and Shim your rods for higher steering angle.

Cat back with piggyback Fuel and boost computer or Full exhaust with Stand alone ECU

Air filter and hard pipe kit

ShortShifter and Sports Clutch and Flywheel

Aftermarket LimitedSlipDiffrential cusco\kazz

Ok well the list goes on and on but these are just some of my ideas.

Comment

The good thing about the FD's is that you can retain alot of the interior and suedo-comfort that they have since they are already so light. I would suggest not taking the interior out of it. Seeing as they retain their resale value so well, it would be a shame to gut the thing and then lose money on an already expensive car. The good thing about them is that mods that you do will reflect in the resale price alot better than other cars. Also, with them, the factory stuff brakewise, suspension wise and some others is already good enough to use without having to upgrade. That way you can spend money elsewhere such as the "anti explosion" parts. FD's are wonderful cars and I really suggest that you explore the Grip aspect of it. I have used mine for that and it is a monster. Matter of fact, the guy that holds the record for the Dragon on motorcycle AND car uses a 93 FD with 350hp. Runs that road, which is 318 curves in 11 miles (and I don't mean small sweepers, I mean 180degree hairpins througout 50% of the road and crazy transitional mid turn switches) in 10 mins 18 secs. 9 mins 48 secs on a bike. So you can see the potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X