Tranny Running Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Running Hot

Hey guys.... So I replaced my clutch in my car, put everything back together and now my transmission is getting REALLY hot. Like I can touch the exhaust pipes after going around the block, but when I touch the tranny I get burned. (Tranny = Hotter then Exhaust)

I drained and refilled the transmission fluid (Cast. Hypoy-C 80w-90). Put new gaskets on the exhaust pipes (after the manifold and before the mufflers.) No exhaust leaks.

The tranny got so hot it melted the shifter's rubber support beam that holds it from hitting the drive shaft.

Any one else experience anything like this? or have any suggestions.

Weird. My friend seems to be having the same problem with his S14. I'll post up once he figures it out.

Comment

lol trannies running hot im so immature

Comment

domo arigato mr. roboto..........= dont have a clue...

Comment

I can't figure it out. I've been up and down the tranny like 6 million times making sure everything is connected and everything is in the spot, no screws missing. I am utterly confused. I really dont want to pay 2k for a new tranny... but it seems that is the route I might have to take.

Comment

well 2k is a rip if you ask me. Is the clutch rubbing against anything and is it made for a sr20det tranny.

Comment

Just a shot at it, did you refill the gear oil and also make sure you've tightened down the drain/fill plugs?

when you're idling do you hear any noises from the tranny? I'm assuming you'd also be able to idle the car without any motor dying issues. What order did you install the clutch? should be flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pivot fork. The bearing also mounts onto the pivot fork.

How was the installation of the pilot bearing? Did it go in smoothly? Also did the pilot bearing when you had the tranny off actually fit the end of the tranny? If everything else is bolted in proper order, then that'd be the only place I can really think of building alot of friction...unless you didn't refill the tranny with gear oil.

Comment

Its a VG30DE engine.

A guy that owned a car shop for 15 years helped me do everything so it was done right. Everything was done correctly, and if we were confused about anything we had a service manuel for the car like 2 feet away at all times.

We fired up the engene (while still on the lift) and the wheels were moving even when the shifter was in neutral. I don't think thats normal... but I could be wrong. I press the cluch they stop moving. Its not a fast movement, kinda like at most 2-3 mph. Like I said before, I got new fluids right after install. The gears run smoothly, but it gets hotter then hell.

The whole tranny gets hot, not just the gear housing. I touched the part around the flywheel and burned my hand it was so hot.

Comment

movement in idle, sounds like your clutch is always engaged. I'd check the install of the throw out bearing. Make sure it's clipped onto the fork. That'd be my first guess.

Comment

Take it apart

Like 180fan said, it sounds like your tranny is staying engauged while in neutral, just slightly though. Its probably slipping on the clutch and causeing excessive heat.

Lucidstrife

Comment

I found out the problem.... unfortunately... Some spread springs have disintegrated and now gears have been wearing away. I'm now left with 2 choices... Rebuild, or buy a new tranny. Rebuild is around $850 – 1250 depending on where I go and who does the best work, if I have someone do it. Normally I’d do it on my own, but I don’t think I have the technical know how, tools, or parts to take on such a task. I could just buy a new one for about $2000+ depending on who I go through. What do you guys suggest?

Comment

ouch. sorry dude I don't have enough tranny know how personally. you might wanna run that by Nistech over on NICO's nissan online mechanic. He's seriously the man when it comes to nissans.

Comment

How do I get a hold of him?

Edit: nvm Found 'em. www.nissaninfiniticlub.net
                          Last edited by VertigoEpidemic; 08-02-2004, 08:42 PM.

Comment

give your thread a bump. he probably overlooked it when making his rounds today.

Comment

i use redline but the NS versions. doesnt seem to run hot as when i used the non NS versions. yer tranny fluid is probably boiling over.

Comment

Working...
                              X