Good tires??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tires??

I'm going to buy some new tires for my car and I need a balance between slip and grip so I can get sideways and bring the a__ end back when I need to.. Anybody have any suggestions. I was going to get Yokohama ES 100s but I'm not so sure about those. I'd like to get a really good set of tires.

potenza re-01 in front and grid II in the back is my favorite set up... or if you are a yokohama fan go with neovas up front and dna in the back. dna's really suck when they are cold but when they heat up they grip pretty good, and neovas have outstanding grip but the sidewalls are kinda weak. re-01 is by far my favorite tire. just my opinion

Comment

Translation:

the Yokohama DNA he's referring to is sold as the Yokohama ES100 in the states.

As for the Advan Neova, they aren't available yet, so go with Yokohama AVS Sports.

Comment

good fronts: yokohama a0r32, falken azenis, kuhmo v700

For an all around average tire but very predictable I'd recommend falken ZE512/ZE502. I used to run these with good results. I still run them in the back with azenis up front.

Comment

if you email falken, they'll tell you to stay away from the ZE series for drifting/roadrace. they recomend the azenis sports or st-115's. ZE's (ziex 512) have been used by people, just aren't the best. I really like the es-100's, I haven't been able to find a tire better for a compromise between drift and grip (for the price), but that's because I have stock horsepower in my s14, and they don't offer Falken st-115's in my size. what are you driving? Hp? what size are you looking for?

Comment

the main thing is... what rim size do you have? do they make that style tire for that size rim? and are you rich enough to be buying new sets of tires when you explode the old ones? which should be soon if your good enough to be buying nice tires...

Comment

Originally posted by panda_3ight_6
              the main thing is... what rim size do you have? do they make that style tire for that size rim? and are you rich enough to be buying new sets of tires when you explode the old ones? which should be soon if your good enough to be buying nice tires...
              why would rim size make a difference? and why would good tires explode?? when you are drifting do you use your street tires?

Comment

Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turb
                Translation:

the Yokohama DNA he's referring to is sold as the Yokohama ES100 in the states.

As for the Advan Neova, they aren't available yet, so go with Yokohama AVS Sports.
                learn somethin new every day...

Comment

only place you will find Neova's is on a new EVO. Generally, if you read the tire sidewall, you can figure out the tire's characteristics for yourself. For drifting, a 50 series or smaller sidewall is one of the important things to remember. You don't want that sidewall to fold in opposite lock.

Comment

Comment

Re: Good tires??

Originally posted by nightracer
                      I'm going to buy some new tires for my car and I need a balance between slip and grip so I can get sideways and bring the a__ end back when I need to.. Anybody have any suggestions. I was going to get Yokohama ES 100s but I'm not so sure about those. I'd like to get a really good set of tires.
                      Buy a good set of street tires (whatever other people recommends).

Buy a USED set of tires (they ave. $30 each). When you go drifting, change your tires to the cheap one (how many times do you drift in a week?) and when your driving normally, use the new ones. This is safer, than using the same tires for both reasons.

TRUST me, you'll spend $400.00 on good tires, that will only last you 6months or 1/4 of its life.

Atleast with cheapo tires, you can mix-match them.

Oh yeah. you need a set of practice rims too

Comment

Careful not to add to the confusion on this list whan saying you need to find a balance between slip and grip. There is no balance to be found. You need grip grip grip.

When buying tires you want maximum traction available for drifting. I would suggest as others have by buying used tires initally. The higher the performance type of tire the better for drifting as you will have more grip which equals more control of the drift.

Drifting is a combination of controling the angle of the car and propelling the vehical forward using the throttle. Touring type tires or harder rubber compounds wont provide as much traction when the rear wheels are spinning making it more difficult

Practice makes perfect though. Many years ago I used to drift with the cheaper/touring type tires. It all hepled as it was still a learning experience. Huge difference when you switch to a high performance tire however.

Comment

!

hmmm...... me gusta queso

Comment

Working...
                          X