drift project start-finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drift project start-finally

I can now start my drift project, finally after a looooong wait. I was buying a s13 for $2k with some stuff done to it like suspension and stuff, rebuilt engine. Well that deal didn't go through. However one of my friends is selling his SR to me for 2.5k with a whole bunch of extras like 3in. downpipe, FMIC, BOV, etc. My question is should I just buy a shell and start from scratch or find another one for about $2k with stuff already done it.

1. $500 shell+2.5k SR20+ 1.5 suspension=$4.5k

2. $2k car w/ka+ $2.5k sr20+ $600 rest of suspension= $5.1K

at first I was leaning towards #1 but than I thought a whole bunch of stuff might be messed up like radiator and stuff. But then I thouhgt, I was going to eventually upgrade those newayz so who cares. And now I'm lost because I can't drive the shell and if i go #2 it cost more money and probably a useless KA engine. I'm lost you guys help me out

You do know that you could sell the KA right?

I would go option #2, but I think it will cost more than $600 for suspension work.
    Last edited by jaydm180sx; 08-10-2004, 08:11 PM.

Comment

yea no doubt, 600 is too cheap for suspension. Even if ure going with just a shock/spring combo thats like 500-600 and then u still wanna get strut bars, sway bars, tie rods and end links.

Comment

the car I was buying already had coilovers
        but i guess i'll just put option #2 to 1.5k also b/c what if the car i find has no suspension work

also is 800 too much for used HE's(tein of course)

Comment

800 for used isnt bad if they are still pretty good shape. Thats about half the cost of new ones. The HE is a great drift suspension. It actually understeers at the limit so if u overspeed into a corner its easier to control, also braking drifts are easier than drift suspension like the tanabe DD which has a natural oversteer. If you autocross tho, it may not be the best choice. If u autox then the flex can be set to drift and autocross and street. and it can all be changed from inside the cockpit with the EDFC!

Comment

thats not half price. I've seen plenty of sites selling them for a regular price $1,100. That's why I asked is it worth saving 200-300 on used coilovers

Comment

no way, better off buying the new ones if ure only saving that much. u dont know how many pot holes they hit at 40mph or anything like that u know

Comment

well you dont drift yet, so get a running car first. then learn how to drive. decide on the other stuff later.

i swear man, everyone who wants to drift is like "sr20 blah blah blah".

learn how to drift first. and even if you do know hwo to drift, finish up your suspension before you put in the sr20. then you'll know how to put the power to good use.

Comment

a shell means no engine, so I would have to do engine first.
                  everyone saying sr this and that b/c their KA is crapped out now and they need a cooler replacement.

you're right on saying suspension first but if the car has no engine what am i going to do: push the car and get in the car and turn the sterring wheel at 2 mph. when i say shell means no engine. You can either waste money and buy a temporary KA to drive around or wait a little longer and just put in the SR. I chose the sr b/c i got a great deal on a complete package with bot-ons like FMIC downpie bov exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                  X