ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Coilover System Would You Use? (POLL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Coilover System Would You Use? (POLL)

What Coilover System Would You Use?
    A'PEXi
    0.00%
    Cusco
    7.89%
    JIC Magic
    0.00%
    Tein
    31.58%
    Tanabe
    2.63%
    HKS
    10.53%
    Kei-Office
    21.05%
    Zeal
    7.89%
    Silk Road
    18.42%
    GP Sports
    0.00%

O and also why you would use the brand and what model...

Comment

Price no object? Custom made Ohlins

Price only a small consideration? Jic Flt-A2's, Tein RE's

Price a substantial consideration? Silkroad

Things to look for:

Ability to change ride height independently of spring preload (needed for propper corner-weighting)

Aluminum bodies (lighter units for less unsprung weight)

Ability to adjust rebound/compression damping individually (usually only available in race-spec and custom-made coilovers)

Ability to swap spring rates easily (common spring length and diameter)

Nitrogen gas (more consistant damping in wide temperature ranges)

Inclusion of Upper pillow-ball mounts

Comment

out of that list, apex. money no object, cashiew i would like to try out. or daiyama.

any at least half decent coilover should have dual height adjust, heim joint mounts, camber plates, inverted front shock, monopiston. spring interchangability dosent matter because if you want to change spring rates you will have to send them in to get revalved anyway.

Comment

I always thought aragostas looked nice... but only if i never had to drive my car on the street...

Comment

KTS/SPL, mostly because my order for them is pending.

Comment

i own tein type flex coilovers for my miata. I am super happy with them! They can be soft as stock or set for drift or set for autox, and i do it all with the touch of a button. The edfc unit has these motors on each of the shocks and u just set the damping force from the control unit inside the car and can save it to a preset. u have three presets, its awesome, i never have to get out of the car to change my settings. i also have a set of unopened HKS Hipermax II dampers for a miata but im so happy with the performance of the teins that i might just sell them at a loss.

Comment

Im thinking on what coilovers to get and was looking at the cusco comps i was wondering if anyone on the board has them if they can give me some feedback on them.

Comment

I'd stick with Tein since they're been doing it for years in Japan...

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by chmercer
                    out of that list, apex. money no object, cashiew i would like to try out. or daiyama.

any at least half decent coilover should have dual height adjust, heim joint mounts, camber plates, inverted front shock, monopiston. spring interchangability dosent matter because if you want to change spring rates you will have to send them in to get revalved anyway.

TEIN doesn't have dual height adjust in most of their models, neither does HKS nor the lower lines of Cusco and JIC.

Tein and Cusco's lower models of coilovers do not come with a solid upper pillow-ball mount -- you have to order it separately.

As for spring interchangablity -- you can use the same damper and use a small range of spring rates (assuming you have adjustable dampers). Hell many of the US-spec coilovers are just the japanese spec with lower spring rates *cough* JIC *cough*

Anyway, here is a chart I made of readily available coilovers (and their features) for the MK3 supra:

Last edited by ma71supraturbo; 08-10-2004, 11:48 PM.

Comment

i use Tein Circuit master with EDFC and it works excellent. got em slightly used for 550 bucks

Comment

Silk Freakin Roads

Comment

Anyone else have some input on what coilover system to use or what you use?

Comment

you know, if your on a budget theres no sense in breaking the bank to buy something like a zeal setup or type HE's. The tein basic damper is around 750 bucks and it may not be the stiffest damper, around 7kg front 7kg rear for the s13, but it is a great set up for the money and will help you out alot. or if you have less money than that, the KYB AGX shock set hardest in front and 2-3 clicks from hardest in the back along with the RS*R race springs are just as nice! If your going to go with a shock spring combo, the RS*R heavy duty race springs are really stiff and are actually the only lowering spring made with drifting in mind. Just something to think about.

Comment

JIC's just aren't what they used to be. Alot of the newer made coils are having issues blowing from what I've seen on various boards and locally.

Teins are awesome bang for the buck and can be rebuilt stateside.

Zeals take it for me though, you said best coil overs out there, and no ones got a better rep than Zeals for coilovers. Top it off with their rebuilding stateside, makes them all the better. 3 days turn around average.

Just some notes I've realized along the way. Alot of other people think too much about adjustability. You don't need a million levels of dampening for your coilovers, once you've found your set, most people generally keep it at that. If they're well built, honestly you don't need that much adjustability with the dampening. Another thing is that with the more settings you can set, the more difficult it becomes to tune them and the greater risk of you putting a bad setting and possibly damaging something. All you should be looking for is something to get the job done. Not something that'll leave you hunting for settings for a month and a half or risk your neck trying those different settings.

Comment

Working...
                              X