which diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which diff?

which diff might last longer a gear type or clutch type oh and any suggestions on which would be better(kaaz,quaife, etc.)

Cusco makes high quality products.

Comment

clutch type diff?? some lsd's have a bunch of little clutches in them to allow limited slip but i've never heard it called a clutch type diff. they all use gears. i dont think either one would last longer, is not gonna break unless you have alot of power and alot of traction. i would recomend a kaaz 1.5 or 2 way. or if you're broke like the rest of us you can just weld the gears on your stock diff and make it a locker diff with no slip at all, great for drifting.

Comment

Clutch type or clutch-pack diffs are more tuneable because you can change the number of discs and both the leading and trailing ramp angles to adjust how quickly and how completely the diff locks up.------They WILL need servicing every year or so if used in competition because the shims and discs wear.

Planetary or torsen style differentials such as quaiffe or peloquin are not tuneable and require little to no maintenance---both companies offer a lifetime warranty even when raced.

A good clutch-pack diff is generally more expensive than a torsen-gear type torque biasing diff.

units like the Phantom grip modify your stock diff using shims or springs to increase preload on the spider gears---I dont reccomend this method. They also require regular maintenance.

Comment

thanks alot

Comment

Originally posted by QuickStyle
            clutch type diff?? some lsd's have a bunch of little clutches in them to allow limited slip but i've never heard it called a clutch type diff. they all use gears.
            lol, you must not have been in the drift scene for long if you have never heard of clutch type diffs.

but ya i have a question, would a helical type lsd be pointless for drifting? since it doesn't lock while turning, would it be pointless?

Comment

Originally posted by J-BloodAE86
              lol, you must not have been in the drift scene for long if you have never heard of clutch type diffs.

but ya i have a question, would a helical type lsd be pointless for drifting? since it doesn't lock while turning, would it be pointless?
              havnt been in the drift scene very long??? right....
              i just havnt been in the american drift scene... i just dont know english car terms... i've never heard it called clutch type and gear type, correct me if im wrong but all diffs have gears.

Comment

Clutch type is correct expression. I think mostly all D1 drivers use clutch types, e.g. Imamura with his FD, even tough his car is standard equipped with torsen. Kaaz, Nismo, Cusco - I think they all offer nothing but clutch types... They're probably better for drifting (locking) and more smoother in breakaway than torsens. You can drift with either type, even open diff.
                Last edited by soru81; 12-05-2003, 04:05 PM.

Comment

the phantom grips are 100% pos, they dont allow proper lubrication, and put way to much stress on what is probally a 15 year old diff.

on another note id say go witch cusco I trust there products

Comment

If you are going for serious drift go for a clutch type. The problem with those is that you have to maintain them and all of the aftermarket ones (cusco,Kaaz,nismo) make lots of noise when turning at low sppeds. If you dont want to deal with that id say just find a stock pumkin with a viscous lsd. I just got a Kaaz 2 way but havent had the time to really use it yet. Hope that I helped.

Comment

Working...
                    X