Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bushings

Bushings are usually located where all your suspension bits connect to the chassis. They are there to dampen vibration and reduce shock. In road cars they usually consist of rubber "tubes" with a steel insert that a bolt will pass through. I don't know how to really describe them, just look where your suspension components meet your chassis and you'll see the rubber. The problem with the factory bushings is that they are soft and compliant, this provieds a better and quieter ride. They are detrimental to handling because they flex under load, causing the suspension geometry to change while cornering. This change can lead to unpredicatble and sloppy handling. When upgrading you would go to a polyurethane bushing. A full kit will cost around 120.00 or so depending on what car you have. They are an absolute nightmare to put in, but well worth the effort. The ride is much harsher however the handling gain is fantastic. Look to company's such as Prothane or Energy Suspension for bushing kits.

Ooops, that was in response to someones post, but ended up being a new thread....

Comment

dont waste time with polyeurethane. get aluminum bushings if you really want to go cheap, but what you really want is to replace them all with heim joints.

Comment

You can describe bushings using your joints on your bones as an analogy. The cartiliedge between your bones acts as a buffer.

When you have soft bushings, you're going to have a soft ride but not be able to take a hard beating without severe damage... I've worn out the factory bushings on all the cars I have owned thus far.

With polyurethane bushings, they're stiff enough to take a beating, but yet still dampen the ride considerablely.

I honestly don't recommend the aluminum bushings if this is going to be a street application as you're going to damage your suspension parts and frame in the long run due to undamped vibrations (Resonance)...

(Someone hurry up and hire me... Please.. I need a job working on this stuff. I'll relocate to anywhere...I studdied Mechanical Enginering...)

Matt

Comment

ill higher you you can be my fd mechanic i could pay you umm, stuff and possibly even money eventually, but ya u had it right on the money, great analogy

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDragon871
            ill higher you you can be my fd mechanic i could pay you umm, stuff and possibly even money eventually, but ya u had it right on the money, great analogy
            Hehehe... Nissan... Do you hear me? I know my stuff I can build parts for racing...

Matt.

Comment

hrm lol well if i get a nissan would u work for free ahahhaa

Comment

hehehe... I meant the factory...

Let's put it this way, I'm not a greese monkey. I know $*$^ about actually fixing a car. I didn't get a chance to do the wrench time. I do more now as of late and I enjoy it, but I'm an engineer. I'd be designing the parts.

Matt.

Comment

Who the hell is stupid enough to use aluminum, that is just wrong. If you use anything other than a rubber or a bearing (rod end or heim joint), then it would be Delrin.
                  BattleVersion Mishimoto DDay Kaaz G-Dimension P2M BrianCrower CPpistons K&Wautobody Drifting.com RaysWheels SpeedOMotive Rotora AIT Racing AODA HouseOfKolor CompetitionClutch BullseyePower

Comment

Originally posted by Ralli///Art GS
                    Ooops, that was in response to someones post, but ended up being a new thread....
                    Hey that was my topic your suppose to put your post, lol. http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...light=bushings Its cool man but hey thanks for your immediate response to this topic enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPfeiffer
                      Who the hell is stupid enough to use aluminum, that is just wrong. If you use anything other than a rubber or a bearing (rod end or heim joint), then it would be Delrin.
                      People who don't know about suspensions and the flex they require to stay as suspensions would use aluminum... A suspension is called a suspension for this reason. It suspends the car from the road... It requires some form of flexibility to adjust camber and toe to maintain traction to the road... I recommend Battle Version Suspension parts for this reason. Battle Version parts are superior to stock parts.

Matt.

Comment

ive ridden in cars with poly bushings, couldnt feel it at all. heim joints are an improvment though. stiffens things up nice.

about who would be stupid enough to use aluminum bushings, *shrug* ive seen them for sale, never ran them myself. bushings are just too much work for somthing that you would have to replace later when you run out of adjustment. (imho)

Comment

Working...
                        X