head gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head gaskets

ok this is going to sound totaly newb, but i am so what ever, but can someone give me a quick run down of changing a head gasket????, im gettin a 240 for 300$ and it needs a new one and im to poor to have someone else do it so any help is very welcome

Re: head gaskets

Originally posted by 240LoVeR
    ok this is going to sound totaly newb, but i am so what ever, but can someone give me a quick run down of changing a head gasket????, im gettin a 240 for 300$ and it needs a new one and im to poor to have someone else do it so any help is very welcome
    No problem

Never done a nissian but there all the same..
    The head gasket is sandwiched between the bottom end and the heads.To change it this the what steps you will encounter.

Good set of tools.
    Take off valve cover.
    Remove timing belt\chain
    remove bolts holding head to bottom end
    take head off bottom end
    remove all old gasket left or stuck behind.
    clean throughly
    Machine the head surface(done my professional with proper tool)
    set new head gasket with some sealant for heads
    put head back on
    use torque wrench to replace bolts\nuts holding head to motor.(this is important that all the bolts have matching Tq. on the nuts\bolts to ensure even sealing pressure between motor\head gasket\head.)
    replace timing belt
    replace valve cover.

DONE.

Hope this helps you out.

Comment

tighten the head bolts very carefully. use 90 degree turns when the bolts are already seated next to the head. Work your way out from the middle outwards when installing the head bolts.

Comment

i think that you need to replace the head bolts everytime you remove them due to the stress that is put on the bolts you dont want to have to go back when your head warps just cuz you didnt change the bolts

Comment

Working...
        X