"peripheral port rotory"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "peripheral port rotory"

no i dont have a car yet but i have bein droling over rx7 fd for some time when i do get it i want to do a peripheral port job on it so if any one has anything they can say about it,or if u have one,even where to get it done anything!!!!!!!!!!!!tell me if u can send pics or the sound it make i would be very happy.and yes i am crazy for info

you don't have the money for either of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Parry
      you don't have the money for either of them.
      how would you know?any way only post if u r going to post info plz.

Comment

i know mazdatrix sells a PP motor for 8500.00, you also might want to see if Judge Ito at nopistons.com has done any PP work.

Comment

Originally posted by epicz
          how would you know?any way only post if u r going to post info plz.
          he would know because your only 14 years old....and unless your a rich kid, or your parents by you ANYTHING u want, your not gonna have enough money to get what your asking about.

and sorry about not posting info...i dont know much about rotaries.

Comment

i shoulda looked at his profile, so yeah i'm going to have to agree withParry and Munch you won't have the funds for that motor.
            Originally posted by Munch
            he would know because your only 14 years old....and unless your a rich kid, or your parents by you ANYTHING u want, your not gonna have enough money to get what your asking about.

and sorry about not posting info...i dont know much about rotaries.

Comment

costs aside, it's not a modification you make to the existing parts. You need to buy specific rotor-housings that have the different ports cast into them. Therefore you need someone with lots of technical knowledge to be able to assemble it.

Also, peri-port rotaries make power at 9000 and above. Depending on the intake, they can rev up to 13,000 rpm and make lots of power. Below 9000 rpm, the thing will make no power, sound like s**t, and smoke. With the peri-port, tons of unburnt fuel flows out the exhaust at idle.

I had the misfortune of being gridded next to an ex-IMSA FD3S tube-frame car, with a peri-port motor in it. The fumes were so noxious that I had to pull ahead because I was getting sick, and my eyes were watering like crazy.... Not what I needed two minutes before I was to go out on the track.

Anyway, a normal 13b can only rev to 8200 rpm safely, before the rotor will start to come in contact with the housings (mostly the side housings, from what I have been told). Apparently you need to "race-clearance" the rotors (a process I only read about, since I couldn't afford it with my turbo FC), in order for it to rev up beyond that. Therefore, if you are going to go peri-port, you need an engine that can rev to at least 11,000 rpm, which will cost you serious cash to begin with. Then you need to get the ported housings... then you need to put it together. Then you need to maintain this super-fickle engine. You also need to feed it LOTS of fuel, and you need to tune the carb all the time (I haven't heard of a way to get EFI to work with a peri... without a seriously funded racing team behind it... if I am wrong, and it's not super-expensive, please inform me).

Overall, if you are planning to drive this thing on the road, get a street port, or AT THE MOST, a mild bridge-port. Personally, I had better luck with turbos. 280 bhp, and it lasted for a whole season with no problems (before we sold the car. new owner's only problem since was overheating, which was not turbo-related).

I would suggest, for the road, a turbo 13b, running at 10 psi, with **TWO** blow-off valves (or one really big aftermarket one), and a lightweight flywheel. With the stock TurboII flywheel being 28 lbs, a switch to a 12-15 lb flywheel would make a HUGE difference. I wouldn't even bother street-porting the engine, because you'll just lose bottom-end power, and it will just be a little too peaky (and with the turbo, you wouldn't need it). Trust me, with a set-up like that, it would be enough power to get you in trouble.... but it would be driveable enough that you would beat cars with way more power coming from a peaky on the dyno sheet. Also, for drifting, you want that bottom-end grunt, so a turbo with no porting would be very good, in my opinion.

Comment

*Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* dident know u could look up profile lol.yes i am 14.my brother lets me drive his 240sx he thought me the basics on drifting. the first time i drove stick i stalled 3 time then i had no problem. he beat the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* out of my for burning clutch but it happends.this one time it was 4:30am i was doing manji(this is a slow swaying faint like drift where the rear end sways back and forth down a strait.) down a straght and i let the car slip a little to far and i knew if i dident do any this i would hit the fire hidrine that was next to me so i braked hard and turn in to grass. it was so scary i was sliding side ways in the grass and the tires finnaly dug in the the ground and almost fliped the car it went on two wheels!!!!!.and i looked out my side window and the fire hiddine was 2 ft form my door i could of died cuz if the car fliped over completly the hiddine would of went though the door and though me.after that my brother told me to get out of the car and he drove home.when we arived i looked at the rims and there was grass between the rim and tire.then we played grandturismo3.well my story wasent about rotays but i though it would be interesting.so peri port is crap right?well w/e the more plp post the more i learn thx for info!!!!!!!!

Comment

No offence, but this is a stupid noobish thread.

I'm 16, I live in NYC, I have no car, I never dove a car before, My hands got dirty with oil before...

But I still know that peripheral port job is and its something you dont want on your street car. Unless you are aiming for 200mph on the salt flats or Wangan stay away from it! Listen kiddo, drifting isnt about all power and instead of making an FD running faster, do the mods that will make it run longer. The FD has more than enough power out the box to get you sideways so dont ask about stuff you dont need and come crying back here when the thing blows up!

But sigh, I want an FD too.

EDIT

READ THIS! http://www.drifting.com/forums/showt...+drift+engines
                  Last edited by Velvet; 08-25-2004, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Interesting...

Ok I was talking to a good friend of mine... "Dragon" from no pistons and here is what he had to say...

The majority of what was said is true... maybe 60%, 30% was the poster being misinformed and 10% was wrong.

First- Stock housings can be peri-ported if you know what you are doing.

There are lots of combinations that could deal with the problems of a peri port. A combo peri-side would be good.

A street port will not cause you to loose bottom end. Usually it is the turbine etc that does that.

Anyway... bottom line is.... you don't want to street a peri as stated.

If you ever want to know all there is to know about non-valvers just head over to rx7club.com and ask "Dragon" ... rode in his 20B FD today and nearly sh-it myself. HELLA FAST! And the nasty side port 20B is still sitting in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by kuku_drifter
                      If you ever want to know all there is to know about non-valvers just head over to rx7club.com and ask "Dragon" ... rode in his 20B FD today and nearly sh-it myself. HELLA FAST! And the nasty side port 20B is still sitting in the shop.
                      Do you know how much hp the 20B runs with stock turbos taken out? IM thinking 220-240 at the wheels, am I right?

Comment

velvet there is a diff between knowing about peri ports and hearing it form people who have them,drive them, or have made them.i never said u need lots of hp to drift a hachi roko with 150hp won the di camp.and ur right the fd dose have a kick out of the box but still who dosent want the badest *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*ing fd in the world LOL LOL.but hey now im starting to think fd is to high matinence is it real as bad as every one says it is

Comment

Get a 240sx like everyone else. Alot easier to learn on and maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet
                            Do you know how much hp the 20B runs with stock turbos taken out? IM thinking 220-240 at the wheels, am I right?
                            Yep, I've seen 232 at the wheels on a DynoJet.

Comment

where i can see a peri-port rotary engine... like a link with picīs, i try but i didnt find nothing on yahoo....
                              Last edited by twcfc3s; 08-27-2004, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X