Cheap tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap tires?

Where do you guys get your tires? I was reading "Drifting 101" and the part about you'll be wasting a lot of tires learning. I'm fortunate that I can use sizes from 15'', 16'' ,and 17''. But I'm sure that the 15s would be the cheapest , used or new. My rims are 15 x 7, 16 x 8, and 17 x 8.5.

go to car dealerships and go to the back they have tires that there tossing back there all the time and most have half the tread left. Be aware that some have nails in the defects and so forth.

Comment

Used tire places. Can usually get a real nice set for $50 or less in the 15 inch size.

Comment

Junk yard too. Basically, anything used will be cheap. Another option is doing some searching for cheap brands/models of tires. They may not be very good tires for normal driving, but it'll get the job done drifting, maybe even buy a dedicated pair of rims and cheap tires for drifting. That way you can run good normal tires and throw on some cheapies to burn.

I personally haven't had much of a problem with tires though since I stay on gravel mostly (snow and ice in the winter), saves a lot on tread life. I could easily run on a single pair for a year even drifting a few corners daily on my way home from work every night

I guess that brings up another interesting aspect, drift surface versus tire wear. If you're concerned about the cost of tires, think about choosing tire friendly surfaces to run on. For example, drift in the rain or shortly after when the pavement is wet. As well, find some twisty gravel roads you can work on. They're easier to get sideways on and a little slower/safer as well but grip can be more varied. Winter's a prime time as well with a layer of snow and/or ice. You can get sideways all day long and produce virtually no wear.

Comment

I get dunlop S3000 for 20 bucks each.

Comment

Snow drifting rocks! I've been doing that for years. Maybe I'm not such a new b as I thought. The problem I've found with junkyard/used is that many are ones with super high side walls. I'm not kidding, my tires right now have 4 inches of side wall! I can feel them rolling under as is. Getting them to do that is easy with a 4000 lb car. Is it possable to find somthing a little lower in profile? As cheap a steel wheels are for my car, the "drift only" tire idea is the way I'm going. I'll leave the 17'' Impala wheels on in front for grip. Cost Co. may be my new best buddy.

Comment

What the hell do you drive?

Comment

I get all my tires from used tire bins. I only take specific brands/models and sizes. Took a lot of experimentation to find out what works best. I also only take tires with a minimum ammount of tread left (using a tread depth guage). I dont mind if tires need to be patched. Believe it or not the tire patches will hold up to drifting (as long as its not near the sidewall). I'd say I comb through about 30-50 tires a month and only end up taking 6-8. This is for the rear only. For the front I only run new tires, and they cost an arm and a leg.

Comment

Maybe ebay? it looks like you can pick up a set of 4 for like $150-$200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=66474245/45/17 GOODYEAR EAGLE ZR45 TIRES

Comment

is drifting on gravel snow and rain really drifting? i think not! drifting on those surfaces isnt the same as dry pavement. not tring to flam just my opinion

Comment

Really, the surface changes nothing. All aspects of drifting and its techniques still hold. The only difference would be the change in grip. Asphalt allows for higher speeds on the same diameter corner due to the higher traction. Going to gravel, snow, or ice, all you change is the amount of grip you have. The amount of braking, throttle, and weight transfer is reduced in accordance with the decrease in grip. Other than that, you drift just the same. The nice thing about going to gravel or snow is that you can really save your tires. You won't just burn them up like on asphalt. As well, with the lower speeds and less power requirements, you can drift a little more safely and are able to do it with a lower powered car. In addition, with lower grip comes less G-forces and thus less wear and tear on suspension and drivetrain. It's really just win win. Still, asphalt has a certain desire to it...kind of like the aroma of burnt rubber.

Comment

its just i feel its a great place to learn because you dont need any skill to drift on sand, grave, snow, ice, rain because are cars want to drift on thoese surfaces i love the control you need on those surfaces trying not to spin out but roads are a diff ballpark trying what you do on grave doesnt work on roads.

Comment

I dunno, I think you still need skill to drift on other surfaces or in the rain. Granted its no the same as drifting on dry pavement, its still drifting. Did you know that the first Drift Session ever held in Hawaii (and first grassroots level drifting event ever held in the USA) had a set of sprinklers set up to keep parts of the track wet? And I tell you what, every time I goto a Drift Session I hope it rains so I can save up some tires. The action also gets crazier since you can initiate so far in front of the turn. I actually think its harder to drift in the rain (but probably because my car is so heavy). I give mad props to people that can drift good in the rain (on the mountain or the track). I also give props to people that drift in the dirt (which is essentially what dirt track racing is).

Comment

Just so you know I'm trying to learn to slide my 9C1. Thats chevy caprice cop car for those in the know. I say the best thing my parents let me do was drive around with RWD and bald tires in the snow. I learned alot.

Comment

I have such a problem

Comment

Working...
                              X