Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow nice lol

Comment

A slight remark on the gravel, dirt, rain, etc. issue, yes, it is easier to slide on these surfaces due to a lower grip level. Notice I said slide. Still to control the slide, you do need to apply the same techniques used on asphalt. Car behavior is the same on all surfaces, basic physics. You still need to apply the same weight transfer techniques and balance the lateral and longitudinal forces front and back to drift the car. Asphalt is just higher speeds and higher forces.

Also note, easier to slide doesn't mean easier to drift. Gravel, snow, and ice tend to have more variation and require more changes to adapt. Spots of loose gravel or packed or loose dirt can instantly adjust traction of one or both ends of the car. I dare you to try to drift on a snow, gravel, ice mixed road(varying patches throughout the corner). You can transition from high traction to no traction from one foot to the next. To drift such a corner requires ahead knowledge of the surface pattern and some thought before hand...that and some quick steering/throttle changes throughout when the rear end suddenly comes out or grabs or you gain or lose a lot of steering ability. It's really a lot more fun that it sounds, but it is very difficult to maintain a drift as well as angle and direction.

One thing I will note is that because of the lower grip and the less g-force on the car when sideways, it does make it easier to drift a stock car. Most(all) stock vehicles have understeer inherantly built into them, primarily via a front sway bar. When running on a lower grip surface, the swaybar is less used and the car gains more of a neutral or even oversteer tendancy, lets just say more away from understeer, lol. This makes it a little easier to get the rear end out on a car with no suspension upgrades.

Comment

Working...
      X