ae86 problems....help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ae86 problems....help!!

okay i met with some friends from school and found out they got an ae86(both brought it) for 115bucks a steal huh? well now here it comes the problems:

1)the car's rpm gauge only goes to 3000 at stops even after flooring it

2) the famous one......doesn't pass smog

i'm look at club4ag as you read this but haven't find a thing yet(i need better glasses) any help please!!!

Edit: it's a sr5,so does it have lsd?
    Last edited by FD3S_pilot; 08-27-2004, 06:07 PM.

come guys any advice??

Comment

hey man.... the best way to go is to make sure it runs right..usually you can pass smog with a new catalytic converter...and the tach is probably worn out...it wouldnt be uncommon for a car of its age...go uy a new one to mount on the dash and be done with it....$15 on ebay...i'd say its worth it and hey if you dont like it you could always sell it for more than you got in it

Comment

Re: ae86 problems....help!!

-Does it actually only hit 3k? or does it redline but not read it?

-Could be alot of things...

-No it doesn't, it also has rear drums and a 4ac motor

Comment

^ yeah it redline but not reading it should i just buy a new gauge like 89rsdrifter said?

Comment

Re: ae86 problems....help!!

Originally posted by FD3S_pilot
            okay i met with some friends from school and found out they got an ae86(both brought it) for 115bucks a steal huh? well now here it comes the problems:

i'm look at club4ag as you read this but haven't find a thing yet(i need better glasses) any help please!!!

OK, first of all, No it doesnt have a LSD. If the gauge is just misreading, then its not a big deal, get a new one. If it is working and it wont rev passed 3k check to make sure you have all your vacume lines hooked up right. Also, before you go out and attempt anything stupid (I know you want to) give it a tune up an make sure everything is tip top, change all the basics (plugs, wires, filters, fluids, etc...) that also might help. If it doesnt, swap out the crappy motor and put in a 4age, that will require alot of work, but its worth it. If your looking for a LSD, you wil also have to swap out the rear end and get new axles for whatever year and month lsd. I can help you out some more, I have more info at www.fourtendrift.com
            Last edited by bmoredrift; 09-01-2004, 12:06 AM.

Comment

If its an SR5 than it wont have an LSD. A friend of mine had the same problem where it was stuck at a certain RPM i think the problem was with the carbureator i`ll see if he knows what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by FD3S_pilot
                ^ yeah it redline but not reading it should i just buy a new gauge like 89rsdrifter said?
                find out if it's the sensor or the gauge before going out to buy a replacement part.

Your smog numbers, do you have them? If so what were they, include units, max values acceptable, etc. Just saying "I'm failing smog" doesn't tell us anything.

Comment

Working...
                X