Brake Fluids Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Fluids Q & A

Okay, so I have searched for specifics on brake fluids for racing/drifting. I want this to be an in depth discussion about types of brake fluid as well as brands you use.

I have done a little research, and I am trying to find the differences and pros/cons in different fluids. I know there is DOT 3, DOT 4, DOT 5, DOT 5.1.
    I know DOT 5 SHOULD NOT BE USED for racing, as it is silicone based and very compressible so it won't hold pedal feel.
    This article told me so:
    Brake Fluid Article
    Its a really good article worth reading. It answered a lot for me.

I am curious because I work at a racing shop, and we have racing brake fluids in stock. We sell a lot of the Wilwood 570 Racing Fluid and the U.S. Brake 570 Racing fluid. These are more affordable. We also have U.S. Brake HTX Fluid, which seems to be pretty good stuff according to the article. Then we have AP Racing 5.1 Fluid which is as it says DOT 5.1. I was told this is only for formula cars, but I'd be willing to spend the money on brake fluid if its something I only change as much as tranny oil. Is a 5.1 fluid going to benefit a daily driver/drift car at all?

I don't have braking problems right now, but my brake fluid is high milage and I'd rather put something worthwhile in if I'm changing it.

I know a lot of you say you run Motul 600. What kind of DOT approval or dry boiling temp does it have? What other brands does everybody use?
    Does anybody use the US Brake HTX, or the AP 5.1? Do you think it helps? What about the 570's?

Thanks for anyone's response. Please correct any statement I have misstated, as I want this to be a teaching topic to the people like me who want to know more. Thanks for everyones attention.

Also, for the people who use ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid (SBR) why would you choose a DOT 4 fluid instead of a DOT 5.1 Fluid? It looks like that stuff is more expensive than the AP 5.1 we sell.

Comment

I chose Super Blue Racing because it was recommended to me by like 20 BMWCCA Club racers and autocrossers. I've never had it fade on me.

The DOT 5.1 brake fluid is not hygroscopic, and thus the moisture that gets into the system collects in the calipers, creating corrosion and possibly vapor lock. Also, the SBR has high enough wet and dry boiling points that I don't even worry about getting any better brake fluid. If I fade my brakes with that and better pads, then I need to worry about cooling.

Comment

I also use ATE super blue. Porsche club of America uses it, hell if it's good enough for a Porsche, it's good enough for my 240. Also it doesn't soak up water as much as the Motul RBF which I had to change very quickly because I live right next to the beach. The ATE I've gone one year before changing. If you've really got an urge to splurge, get the Castrol SRF. That stuff's amazing. I've used it only once, never again as it's mui expensive...

Comment

I use Motul 600 in the Corvette, and it works quite well. It was recommended to me by a few racing teams. If you want something cheaper, that is almost as good, get Ford 550 fluid. It is amazing, and really cheap. You may have to replace it once a year, but it's so cheap, and works so well, it's worth it. I know of many racing teams that still use the Ford 550 fluid.

Comment

Working...
          X