hmmm..small block chevy in 1980 corolla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmmm..small block chevy in 1980 corolla

i wonder how a chevy 305 with a 5-speed would do in a 1980 corolla???any comments or opinions will not be overlooked....the motor and tranny in the corolla are good but it needs a clutch and the flywheel resurfaced and for $50 more than all that i can get a 305 with a 5 speed and then be able to recoup some of my money off the 3t in the corolla...so what do ya think

Nose heavy, but go like hell.

Do a 350, not a 305. More umph and less weight.

Off the top of my head, you'll need motor mounts, maybe tranny mounts, probably an upgraded radiator, fuel pump, drive shaft. That's ontop of a complete motor, tranny, and ignition system.

Honestly I would probably run it carburated. TPI wasn't that great to begin with, and it's less junk to swap. If you do carb it, you will need to do the fuel pump however. Fuel pumps for carbs run much lower pressure, if you keep the fuel injected pump you will most likely have various bad results, including overwhelming the carb and essentially dumping fuel into the motor.

You could well run into clearence issues with the hood.

Do to the weight of the small block you will also need to run upgraded front suspension. You will loose some handling and balance.

Again, that's just off the top of my head. There could be and indeed is probalby other issues. It would, however, go like mad.

Comment

Well, alot of chevette guys swap chevy 6clys into thier cars, but the car becomes nose heavy. This is not good for drifting really, but who knows. If you are that hung up you could just go with
      a ae86 or starlet engine, maybe even a KA24 from an old nissan truck, or a KA24DE. People throw those away, and they make like 150-160 horse if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Working...
      X