fd3s help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fd3s help

hey..i called this one guy Mike in yokota and his friend is selling a '92 rx-7 because he has to pcs to the states...he needs a buyer asap and mike said that he would go below 3,000 usd for it..problem- single turbo conversion on a stock ecu..he took the power fc out so the car still thinks that its twin turbocharged but its not...so...i could try to offer him 2k for the rx7 so i have some money for a powerfc

now the questions:
    how hard would it be to convert it back to twin turbo? what are some problems besides cooling...how difficult would it be to maintain...and how will it run at low rpm's without powerfc or a restrictor...and how will it run at high rpm's without the powerfc?

rx7 comes with an fmic and some other goodies but its just reliability im worried about right now.

bump.....

Comment

you're lookin at

turbo manifold
      downpipe
      two smaller sized turbos
      stock intercooler (or modify the fmic with 2 input)
      intercooler piping
      oil/water lines that must go to lube/cool the turbos
      intake piping for the turbos with filter element on the ends
      air flow meter for second turbo
      gaskets galore!!

I think it'd probably be cheaper to buy a power fc than to go through all the trouble of sourcing the parts, getting them installed, removing the single turbo setup, and having to deal with all that bs.

Comment

Originally posted by 180fan
        you're lookin at

turbo manifold
        downpipe
        two smaller sized turbos
        stock intercooler (or modify the fmic with 2 input)
        intercooler piping
        oil/water lines that must go to lube/cool the turbos
        intake piping for the turbos with filter element on the ends
        air flow meter for second turbo
        gaskets galore!!

I think it'd probably be cheaper to buy a power fc than to go through all the trouble of sourcing the parts, getting them installed, removing the single turbo setup, and having to deal with all that bs.
        ^ what he said, plus getting an FD for 3k and it has a good motor plus a single how lucky can you get.

Comment

leave it single turboo...with the twin t youll be have a hot (i mean very hot) engine bay... just reapir it get the ecu and the power FC and thats it...

Comment

Agreed, everyone is trying to get away from the twins. Don't go from Hollywood to Boise. You would spend more in parts to go back twins.

Comment

ya man why have to ugly twins when u can have 1 hot model yummy just fix her up paint it black, put sum advan super advans, sexy style kit, tein flexs with edfc, tanabe front and rea..........

oh no ive said to much sorry went off on my car and not yours just leave the boost down untill you can handle it and than drift it and put up sum pics

Comment

oh ya and visit re amemiya he can help you out a great deal trust me i know right ghost ahaha

Comment

alright guys thx...but ive asked some other people and they said that theres a good chance of me blowing the engine if i get it in high rpms or pushing it too strong...

i mean..i have to drive the car home from another base so its gotta beable to stand fifth gear...would it help if i was running no boost? i dont wanna blow it on the way back home and stop on the tomei expressway waiting for a tow truck. i should be safe goin 130ish km/h aye? ill probably go look at it today and possibly write the guy a check for it if i cant find anything else.

how cheap have you guys seen powerfc's go for? the apexi powerfc with commander is like 140,000 yen over here..which is like 1300 usd. guess i wont be running it if i get it for a while.

i have a choice: get a real cheap fd3s 5spd, get a 4 door r32 gts n/a 5spd, or look around some more.

edit: looking to make a projectcar cuz my s13 is a daily driver anyways.
                  Last edited by markeese180sx; 09-04-2004, 05:22 PM.

Comment

How much boost does the single run? When does the turbo begin to spool? If it runs around the same boost as the twins,and spools a little later,it will run rich/equivalent until it spools.Now if it makes the same amount of boost,you should have the proper amount of fuel there.If you can,hook up a boost controller and run it at 6-7 PSI to be safe.That way you'll be running a little rich,better than running lean because we all know what that means.

Speed limits only 80km anyways,what are you doing going 50 over it .

Shift between 3500-4500 if you can't get the boost controler.

Comment

uh.."i gotta heavy foot" and gotta get home fast! haha take into accout everytime i go driving out on the highways with no traffic im goin a steady 130ish and i have s15's passing me goin 200 or something..damn law breakers.

thanks for the info feint, im gonna try to get the powerfc from ranzo if possible...if not ill take it easy on the engine..i donno when it spools..ill call mike and ask about it today.

lates,

mark

Comment

Well, here's my opinion. You are gonna blow it up no matter what you do, it's an FD.

But, since you are getting it el cheapo, do yourself a favor and limp it home. You will have plenty of time to drive that thing fast after you get it set up. Don't blow 2 grand by trying to be Captain You aint gonna pass me and torching the engine racing on the highway on your way home. So if you get it, try not to put your foot in it till you get it home, and if you can't promise to try, at least give it a good Homer Simpson and promise us that you will "Try to try"

Comment

it's..so tempting to floor a new used car...but i will try to try to not test it's limits without the powerfc lol.

if i do get it...ill be asking a lot of questions because i have a feeling im gonna screw it up unlike the s13 lol.

thanks everyone,

mark

Comment

The positives.You already have a Jspec engine,parts are cheaper over there,and you have a large resource for parts (late 91-02) for the FD,compared to the measly 3 years over in the west.

One question.Is Tomei the really,really smooth paved toll route in Japan? The one taht's almost virtually as smooth as a race track.

Comment

yeah the tomei is as smooth as a baby's a$$...ive slept so well everytime im riding with someone else..but my friends just end up smacking me in the facebecause the way they look at it is if they cant sleep, i cant sleep.

yeah the fd is popular over here too...not as much as the s13 and skylines though. Now all i need to do is find a person willing to sell their used powerfc or somethin for el cheapo..cuz the way i look at it..im payin 50-60% of what i might buy the fd for.

the negative: no one on base is very exerienced with rotary engines so im gonna have to take it to garage anything or somethin offbase

Comment

Working...
                              X