Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mechanical or electrical gauges

Which would you guys recomend and why?

Mechanical gets my rec. They're a bit faster in response than electrics and less electrical stuff to worry about means I can work on the stuff if something should go wrong more easily. Disadvantage with mechanical gauges is that they're generally bigger, and can bring into the cabin some potentially dangerous substances which may not be a good thing. Electrical gauges are generally thinner and easier to mount, cleaner looking but are also more expensive. If you're on a budget, go mech. If you've money to spare and find some extra features that tickle your fancy, go electrical.

Comment

id say mechanical for some, such as tach (if you get one) boost guage (if you need one) but electric oil temperature -safer and some seem to be easier to read when digital. whatever suits you really.

Comment

I prefer electrical.
        I dunno how a mechanical gauge can respond faster than an electronic one, especially if it uses a capillary tube.
        The liquid (coolant, oil, etc.) has to travel through the the tube before it hits the gauge to get an accurate reading.
        The electronic gauges typically use remote sensors that instantly transmits the signal back to the gauge for a reading.
        Electrical wires don't scare me.
        I'd imagine those pushing mechanical gauges would be worried about electrical wiring.
        Pressure and capillary tubes can get damaged and leak.
        Leaking oil and coolant can make a big mess in the cockpit.
        One major downside of electrical gauges is that they used to have very limited "sweep" on the gauge face, typically 90-degree.
        There are lots of 270-degree sweep electrical gauge plentiful now, so they don't take a hit in resolution anymore.

Comment

Working...
        X