Tire fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire fitting

I was wondering if a 225 wide tire will fit on a 7" wide rim?

That would be pushing it. I wouldnt go any bigger than 215 on a 7 inch wide rim.

Comment

225/50/16 came stock on my 16X7 "sawblade" wheels. 245/45/16's will also fit, but they balloon and adversely affect handling

Comment

I'm having trouble finding used tires that fit my sawblades too.

Comment

im gonna go with 225 on my 7.5". will that be good?

Comment

Originally posted by Ichi-Go
            That would be pushing it. I wouldnt go any bigger than 215 on a 7 inch wide rim.
            Uh, no it's not.
            If in doubt, contact the tire manufacturer for THEIR recommendations for their tire sizes.
            No one knows proper tires to wheel sizing better than the tire manufacturer themselves.

FC owners run 225/50/16's on their stock 16" x 7" wheels all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by URMachines
              im gonna go with 225 on my 7.5". will that be good?
              That's fine.

Comment

I dont think manufacturers know the best size for the car. They dont pick tire size on performance. Putting a tire that is 10mm skinnier on a wheel is going to square is up and eliminate a lot of roll and slop. I put 195s on my car instead of 205s which it came from at the factory and it handles better. I dont have as much scrub and i can run lower PSI and attain higher grip. Acura put 205s the 98 TLs that rim is a 16x7.

You can do it but the extra 10mm is going to hurt performance more than help.

I have a friend that put 185s on a 14x7 and 195s on a 14x8. Wider doesnt always mean better.
                Last edited by Ichi-Go; 09-06-2004, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Check this out 195 on a 8 inch wide. HOTNESS...
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ichi-Go; 09-06-2004, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I dont think manufacturers know the best size for the car.
                    That's a pretty ignorant thing to say.
                    Tire manufactures know what safe tire size versus wheel widths are.
                    Are you telling me you know better than tire manufacturers???

Comment

Tires will usually safely fit on a range of widths, not just a single width. As the sidewalls get smaller, the range of widths usually gets smaller. For instance a 295/65/15 will fit on a larger range of wheel widths than a 295/35/18 would. This is assuming that you want the tires within those factory recommended safety limits. If you just dont care and you want to stretch your tires then almost anything will fit. I've run between 195's and 255's (all varrying sidewalls, never smaller than 50) on my 16x8.

Comment

Yes that is true that they know the best tire size for cruising the streets. But if you want more performance out of the tire then it is much better to make it more "square" with the rim. Even a little stretch can help a lot.

I have done autocross on a 205/60-15 a 195/60-15 and a 215/40-16.The 205s and 195s where both on my stock wheels which are 5.5 inches wide. The 205s rolled and scrubbed the entire time. I run on the 195s all the time now and they are much better than the 205s and break a lot more proggresive with the same tire pressure.

The 215's where on a 16x7 and they felt awesome. They have no roll or scrub. The tire is almost exactly square. The sidewall height can also add a lot of mush and sway into the handling so you have to take that into consideration.
                        Attached Files

Comment

man i got that faded with a 195 on a 8.5 inch wide and my freind with his 215's on a 10 inch wide

Comment

i personally would rather have a wide tire than the stretched look. im more of a perfoemance guy than looks

Comment

Fo shizzle! My trailer sports that same look

Anyway, tire manufactures put out their own specs -- some company's 245's are as wide as another company's 275, so it isnt as straightforward as you might think. Tirerack.com has most of the tire brands so you can get a good idea. For example, a 225/50/16 BFG g-force can go on as narrow as rim as 16X6, or as wide as 16X8: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...omCompare1=yes
                              Last edited by ma71supraturbo; 09-07-2004, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X