ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S13 Steering angle modification question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S13 Steering angle modification question.

How do I get more steering angle on an S13? Are there parts out there to modify my steering rack? Or is it the suspension geometry limiting the angle?

Anyways, what is there I can do to get some serious steering angle?

Matt.

undo the rack at the inner rack end join, put a spacer washer in here, from memory its a 16.5mm internal diameter and a 20mm outer diamter to do the trick, mine is 8mm thick, most people have between 4 and 8, any more and there isnt enough thread to hold the arm properly, just make sure you use heaps of locktite as the locknut wont fit any more and the last thing you want is no steering.

Comment

Wont new tie rods with spacers in them do the same trick like the jic's and teins? I was curious because I want to get some more angle as well. I have seen on some cars they grind down the steering stops also can we are does it help? I have a s14 btw

Comment

yeh, a lot of companies offer aftermarket tie rods that will offer you a bit more steering responce and give you a steeper cornering angle.

i'm also pretty sure it's a bit more reliable than the washer method

Comment

Aftermarket tie rods leave you with two main choices: Tein or JIC. Tein is much cheaper. Personally, I think I'd use a Tein inner tie rod and a Kazama pillow-ball outer. Better feedback and adjustable for deeper angle.

You won't/don't need the angle until you get better, Matt.

Comment

Are the JIC magics stronger than the tein's though? Or is it reasonably difficult to bend the teins and the extra "beef" isnt needed? I am going to wait on tie rods till after coilovers some chassis stiffening and some suspension arms unless I bend one then I will get them.

Comment

Originally posted by GRiDRaceTech
              Aftermarket tie rods leave you with two main choices: Tein or JIC. Tein is much cheaper. Personally, I think I'd use a Tein inner tie rod and a Kazama pillow-ball outer. Better feedback and adjustable for deeper angle.

You won't/don't need the angle until you get better, Matt.
              Don't worry, I'm not going to get an S13... I'm going to wait to graduate first. I'd rather be an engineer and able to afford to drive than drive and have a McJob.

I am planning on getting an SC300

BTW, this is an old thread.

Matt.

Comment

Beautiful choice!!!!
                I love Soarers too! Thats gonna be my next car!!

Comment

Yea, the only problem I see with the SC300 is the cost of working with the car. But that is another reason I'm waiting to graduate first. I'd rather be able to afford to work a car than be a college drop out.

Matt.

Comment

What about the modification to the hubs?

You can see on JP videos that they have for sale modified knuckles

Looks like the arm on the knuckle that tie rod bolts to is modified. You can see it was chopped and re-welded

Any info on that???

Greg

Comment

Working...
                    X