N/A or Turbo charged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N/A or Turbo charged?

im looking into RX7s and the two im looking into are both N/A. i dont really have unlimited funds but i dont want to waste money. i would either be spending money on parts or saving for a stock turbo engine after i get it. should i either spend the money that could be used on the engine on stuff like a custom exhaust? i dont plan on making it a $20,000 project car over 10 years or something. i just want a car that is fun to drive and just do a little bit of vigorous driving. any thoughts are welcome. <8- !

RX-7's take quite a bit of TLC if you want to maintain their engine after turboing. An NA application on the other hand is virtually bullet proof. If you really want to save your money instead of doing the regular rebuilds a turbo rotary engine would require, put it in the suspension. The RX-7 is an amazing car and one of the best handling to ever come out of Japan.

Comment

it's been said that if you have Fast, Cheap, and Reliable you can pick any of the two. in my experience with rotary's either n/a or turbo can be reliable and make good power and tlc isn't what it needs. it would be more of a high maintenence vehicle, but that's just the nature of the rotary. so long as you pay attention to the powertrain and maintain it, do the fluid checks and keep a close eye on the engine and oil temps and run good fuel it should run for a long time, the problem is people usually think of rotary engines as needing the same up keep as a piston engine and don't realize how they really work, and what to pay attention to. read about them, meet people who have had them for a while, go to rotary events like sevenstock in anahiem CA., unless you pay for a really nice one you will be forced to learn about it so know that going into to it. good luck with what ever you choose.

Comment

i did not have the intention of turbocharging the N/A engine. what i meant was just getting a TII engine. anyways i understand the basics like they burn about a quart of oil every couple thousand miles. just that sort of information. i was just asking but i think N/A is fine with me because turbo is fast but speed is not everything and neither is power <8- )

Comment

Basically a rotary engine, being N/A or turbo is very reliable. The one thing people are most NOT aware of is sealent. The rotaries are amazing engines with this one weakness the seals. Most of the problems with rotaries are diagnosed as extra fuel, oil, or some leak in the system. Most likely due to a bad seal. Just keep a good eye on the engine, check your oil, and it will last for a long time.

Comment

about the seals is there any way to find out if any are bad? or is it just like hit or miss with buying one?

Comment

^ compression test,anything below 90 and it needs a rebuild.

Comment

ok cool. the mazda mechanic is going to try and fix it for free. sweet price of 1,200.

Comment

Originally posted by blargonator
                  i did not have the intention of turbocharging the N/A engine. what i meant was just getting a TII engine. anyways i understand the basics like they burn about a quart of oil every couple thousand miles. just that sort of information. i was just asking but i think N/A is fine with me because turbo is fast but speed is not everything and neither is power <8- )
                  Oh I know what you meant, it's just that rotary engines are generally very reliable but you must maintain them better if it has any form of forced induction. VWTech essentially you just said that it would require TLC (Tender Loving Care) just in a different way.

And yes, usually the problem area with forced induction rotaries are the seals.

Comment

yeah i dont think im going to mess with turbo engines. i already know the basic problems and seals of the engine but other than that i will probably have to buy a second hand guide for the car (the cheap ones at autozone. you know what im talking about) and read it for simple things i need to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X