rb swap in 92 240 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rb swap in 92 240 coupe

my friend is getting a 92 240 and he wants to put in a rb26 motor in it what r some tips u smart people can give him

I wouldnt do it lol, rb26's are heavy, go with the sr20 def, its light, great for drifting, and you can still get it fast. So thats my tip, but if he wants to do it, go for it, but expect a big weight gain.

Comment

rb in a 240?

What does he want to build a rocket sled? If all he wants to do is go fast he owns the wrong car.

Comment

he isnt sure if he wants to put in a rb25 or 26 but he wants to be different from everyone else who has sr20s

Comment

I know some people put sr20's in to "be cool" and be like everyone else, but, there is a good actual reason for having an sr20 too, its perfect for drifting, its light weight, its what was meant to be in the silvia, and its just a wise decision to get one. Rb26 or 25, no matter which one, an sr20 would still be a better choice.

Comment

He wants to be different?

lol then he really did buy the wrong car.

Comment

there was these guys that did a rb26dett swap into a 240 fastback up here i think. i was talking with one of the guys at Autovasion and correct me if im wrong, but, i think i heard him say it took them about 2-3 days to finish the swap and all the wiring and still have enough time to finish the body work. he told me it was for show, it wasnt for go. way to much weight in the front.

Comment

i know a few people now who have done this, and there are plenty of reasons to do it.. wether it's more HP potential or just for bad *Censored**Censored**Censored* factor, there are plenty of reasons to do it. don't let these nay-sayers detour you or your friend from the idea.. there are some things to consider however. you'll need motor mounts (if you use the stock crossmember it'll have the engine hitting your hood). if you stick with the TT setup, you'll need a custom manifold made, otherwise it's going to hit the steering column (in JPN the steering column is on the other side so this isn't a big problem). you'll also need a custom driveshaft made to go from the rb25det tranny.. which by the way, you'll also need the rb25 tranny to bring you from AWD to RWD. the rb26 oilpan is too deep, so you'll need the rb25 oilpan.. you'll also need to either consider going standalone ECU, or use the rb26's ECU. obviously this is nowhere near sa cheap as the SR swap.. the motor alone is going to start you at around 3500ish for the r32 rb26, then you need to find the rb25 tranny and oil pan.. or you can just go rb25 and then all you'll need is mounts and a drive shaft..

now i'm also leaving out the slew of custom piping (depending on what IC you're going to use), and the fact that there are few places that know how to get the stuff like the AC working, especially with the rb's computer and the ka's heater controls. that sort of thing.. buuuuuut most people don't spend 6 grand on a motor install so that it runs the AC better, so i'm doubting you or your friend is too concerned about that.

if you need help finding a clip and stuff, email me and i'll see what i can do

Comment

As higher. The RB25 would be definately easier to swap, as you will not need to run a custom exhaust manifold and/or turbos. Another way for extra power (altough little less than in the 25) would be the RB20DET. It's also a good engine, and the swap is still easier than the RB26 one.

Comment

what does the rb20 come out of

Comment

i would recomend the rb20et because a rb26dett is a hella lota wait on the front end

Comment

Same thing that the RB25's and 26's come out of, just an earlier year.

The 26 is gonna be a ton of work, listen to the guys above. Same with the 25. The 20 however, is still some work but not as much. My brother makes the mount kits, they fit the 20, 25 and 26's. There should be a couple cars at the Atlanta meet that are running his mount kits, I think a couple of the RB26 cars are gonna be there. He can make you the manifold as well. www.tophatperformance.com. His mounts will allow you to run the strut tower brace without having to modify the oil pan. The RB20 isn't all that fast from the get go, it just has a load of potential. Same with the SR swap. Factory, unmodded SR20 and RB20 swaps are not fast. My FD buried my brothers first RB20 swap and I mean burried it off the light and all the way up. Within an 1/8th of a mile, I was at least 5 car lenghts ahead. Mine is modded but tell your friend that just because he gets this swap, don't go out trying to be Superman cause it ain't happening. He needs to understand this right now. They are faster than a KA for sure, but in the grand scheme of things, they are not fast. Now, if he wants fast, he will need to be prepared to spend the big bucks.

They also shouldn't make too bad a platform for sliding either, they will position the weight more towards the front allowing the rear end to break easier, but harder to control at higher speeds due to being off balance. Just my thoughts on that.

Comment

yup, as always here's something else that's been said before....again...

U toss an RB in a 240 and it'll screw up the weight balance.

If u want to be different and u have the money, cool.

But if u have enough money and enough know-how to throw a big motor like that in a little car, u might as well find a better chassis to fit it so it's balanced.

Only reason to put an RB in a 240 in my opinion is to make the 240 a drag car.

Tell ur friend he's dreaming and to come back to a logical reality.

Comment

thnx for the advice so far he just got the car today so the project is starting soon ill keep u guys posted on the progress

Comment

allright here's what i gotta say-
                              if he wants to be different, then he definetly has the wrong car like others above mentioned-

if you were to do a rb swap i would go with the rb20 if you dont mind upgrading some stuff like torbos and stuff-
                              rb25 if you want to leave evrything stock like bottom end, turbo, etc.

the rb25 doesn't mess up the weight balance, it just changes, which is not a bad thing, and you can keep it close to ka front end weight by getting FRP or C.F. fenders, hood, bumper.

if you want to go rb swap, you will need a mickeney or other custom motor mounts to position the engine far back and low enough to keep good weight distribution

also if you go rb20, you don't need a custom driveshaft, you can use your stock one, rb25 you need custom

also did you guys not see that vid of the red coupe w/ rb25 at DD
                              i forgot which forum i seen it on

Comment

Working...
                              X