The Ultimate Brake Dust Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Brake Dust Question

I figure someone on this forum would know a bit about this. My rims (stock aluminum) had a few months of caked brake dust on them. I used soap and water on them and most of the dust has come off. Still, there is a thin layer that irritates me.

Would it be safe to use a bit of steel wool to to brush off the last of the dust, or would it make my rims prone to rust (as I live in a cold area)?

Thanks.

do you have a power washer? those work good cleaning rims, specially if you combine it with degreaser

Comment

Well, hypothetically, let's say I've already done this. I don't really know if there was some sort of polish/rust-protector I just rubbed off.

Comment

I've heard that oven cleaner works well, but I've never tried it. I would rather be out driving and putting brake dust on my wheels than screwing around with chemicals and wasting my time cleaning wheels that I'll just get dirty again soon. I just use a dry paper towel to get most of it off, and then just not worry about the rest.

I highly doubt that you scrubbed off any rust-protecting coating on your wheels... and the only wheels that rust are steel wheels, and something tells me that if you're so worried about cleaning brake dust off them, they are likely to be a bit better than steelies....

Don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
        X