20 Valve 4age Corolla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Valve 4age Corolla

you guys ever hear about 20valve 4AGE? i think it was levin 20v.

thats the corolla trueno and levin (ae101.ae111) engine. what about it?

Comment

yeah ive heard of it 3 intake 2 exhaust right?

Comment

yes it does. my friend is building a stroker 20v right now. what is it you want to know?

Comment

I think i remember reading that the AE101's had individual throttle body's built in to the intake manifolds too.

Comment

Okay, let's start from the beginning...

The AE86 corolla NEVER came with the 20 valve from the factory. If somebody has told you so, then tell him he's an idiot and send him to club4ag.com.

The 4A-GELU is a DOHC, 20 valve, 1.6 liter engine, that puts out from 160 to 180hp (measured on the dyno - don't beleive in the factory-given figures). It features individual throttle bodies on the intake manifold, which have a cover from dust & stuff with an air filter, which, if removed completely with the cover, makes response better, but results in worse reliability. It's a great base engine to put into the 86 without any mechanical tuning, as the crap for it like camshafts etc. is hella expensive. The bolt-ons and computer tuning (you can't use a stock 16 valve ECU - you have to use either the original AE101 or 111 unit, which is quite a task to get working, or a standalone engine menagement system) are nicely reccomended. For ecample, the stock exhaust unit will be insufficient for that one, as the 101 had a twin exit system, which was much more free flowing than the original 86 unit.

Tighty_wh1tey, you're right - it has 3 intake and 2 exhaust valves. Complete with the itb's, it makes the engine much more responsive than the original 16 valve motor. It also has an advantage of smaller ports than in a 16 valve, what makes it even better for a naturally aspirated motor.

If you would like to swap this engine into an 86, you must remember it won't fit that easily. First, the firewall has to be either hammered back or cut, as the block is longer compared to the bluetop (16 valve with TVIS) because of the original transverse position in the car. Also, the software stuff is the problem, but I won't get into details here: check Moto-P's AE101-powered 86 project at club4ag.com. But even before you put the engine into the car, you would have to modify everything to habdle the extra power. You know, these old cars have much more "flexible" body than the newer ones...

I think that should be everything. It's not exactly correct with the topic, but who cares about that?!

Comment

Originally posted by Tighty_wh1tey
              yeah ive heard of it 3 intake 2 exhaust right?
              yes, for more air intake. also the 4AGZE was the supercharged version.

Comment

darkstar: my friend is having problms finding pistons for his 5ag. he can only find pistons for the black top but he has the silvertop. what is the difference? i told him prob head cc's but is just a guess

Comment

The AE86 corolla NEVER came with the 20 valve from the factory. If somebody has told you so, then tell him he's an idiot
                  i saw the name at a magazine, so tell that to the guy at super street!!! (look whos the dumb one)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                    Okay, let's start from the beginning...

The AE86 corolla NEVER came with the 20 valve from the factory. If somebody has told you so, then tell him he's an idiot and send him to club4ag.com.

The 4A-GELU is a DOHC, 20 valve, 1.6 liter engine, that puts out from 160 to 180hp (measured on the dyno - don't beleive in the factory-given figures). It features individual throttle bodies on the intake manifold, which have a cover from dust & stuff with an air filter, which, if removed completely with the cover, makes response better, but results in worse reliability. It's a great base engine to put into the 86 without any mechanical tuning, as the crap for it like camshafts etc. is hella expensive. The bolt-ons and computer tuning (you can't use a stock 16 valve ECU - you have to use either the original AE101 or 111 unit, which is quite a task to get working, or a standalone engine menagement system) are nicely reccomended. For ecample, the stock exhaust unit will be insufficient for that one, as the 101 had a twin exit system, which was much more free flowing than the original 86 unit.

Tighty_wh1tey, you're right - it has 3 intake and 2 exhaust valves. Complete with the itb's, it makes the engine much more responsive than the original 16 valve motor. It also has an advantage of smaller ports than in a 16 valve, what makes it even better for a naturally aspirated motor.

If you would like to swap this engine into an 86, you must remember it won't fit that easily. First, the firewall has to be either hammered back or cut, as the block is longer compared to the bluetop (16 valve with TVIS) because of the original transverse position in the car. Also, the software stuff is the problem, but I won't get into details here: check Moto-P's AE101-powered 86 project at club4ag.com. But even before you put the engine into the car, you would have to modify everything to habdle the extra power. You know, these old cars have much more "flexible" body than the newer ones...

I think that should be everything. It's not exactly correct with the topic, but who cares about that?!

what are your sources on this? u ramble alot.

Comment

URMachines, the difference is that the blacktop makes 11 compression ratio with higher compression pistons, and the silvertop makes 10.5. It isn't a problem to make your friend's car running with blacktop pistons. Also changing the connecting rods would be useful, as the blacktop ones are lightened (and better balanced I suppose).

DriftinCressida, what do you mean? "Rumble" in the english I know is to make some extraordinary noise, what is the other meaning? Sorry 'bout that, I haven't ever been to an english-speaking country you know.
                      Last edited by Darkstar; 09-23-2004, 11:16 PM.

Comment

actually for all of you cats keep your lips tight. Darkstar is absolutly 100% correct. I dont care what you read in superstreet or what your boy is doing.

The AE86 (ive owned 2 so far), only came with a low compression 9.4:1 (AKA large port AKA blue top) 16 valve motor. The generation that followed in japan had a GTS option that was high compression 10.3:1 (AKA small port AKA red top) 16 valve motor. It wasnt untill after that generation that ended in 95 that the Sprinter and Trueno Corollas (two seperate models in japan) got teh 10.5:1 and later 11:1 compression motors.

Now dont feel bad or get mad because your uneducated. To be as popular and pricey as they are I am constantly and consistantly surprized at how little the general motorsports population knows about the Corolla GTS.

Side note: Geo produced the Prizm GSi as well as the Storm GSi that both came with the 10.3:1 compression small port motor, with EGR for you emmisions minded folks. Hehe yeah right.

Where do I get my info from? Lets see. Club4AG is great, DGTRials is awsome, My own personall experiance working with my corollas, Parts friends I have in Toyota service and parts departments and factory service manuals.

In addition to the wisdom Darkstar is so generous to suplly to you guys there are ALOT more things that need to be collected and done to make the 20V work in a corolla 2 generations before it was even produced in a sold to the public. Solinoids and sensors that do not come with a motor and sometimes not even with a front clip need to be collected and wiring for it is always a pain. It takes about as much finincially to get a NA 20V in as it does to do a 4aGZE, supercharged 16V.

If you want to put about 2500 to 3K into your motor swap alone simply get the high comp small port and bore it out and throw in some seriously high compression pistons, invest heavily in new bolts and valve job. Cams and gears and fuel. Call it a day.

Comment

Nice to have such stuck up people in the forums isn't it?

Comment

I bet there are millions of people who would know tons more than I do. DaGOATRollaGTS surely is one of them.

As for the Corolla 16 valve motors, I thought that there was another generation of the 4A-GE... If I am correct, then there were:

1) Bluetop with TVIS (or redtop, as the latest production models had red lettering on the valve cover, despite the engine was identical as the earlier production bluetop),

2) Redtop without TVIS, with a standart intake manifold (without secondary intake ports from the manifold, which were opening in higher rpm ranges),

3) and the three models of the 4AGZE, all of them based on a redtop engine, but with lower compression pistons and other beefier internals (crank, rods).

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                              DriftinCressida, what do you mean? "Rumble" in the english I know is to make some extraordinary noise, what is the other meaning? Sorry 'bout that, I haven't ever been to an english-speaking country you know.
                              Rumble is like a low grumbling noise. Trains rumble past.

Ramble is to wander on sort of pointlessly or randomly.

You did neither. Your english is quite good, actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X