How To Test ECU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Test ECU's

I was wondering if there was a way to test your ECU to see if it would work without plugging it into your car and running it. I have about 6 ECU's from 86 to 89 toyota MR2 and i would like to know if they are good or not but my car is in pieces . Not only that but i heard that the 4age ECU's are a rare find too.

If i find out they are good, I will let them good for cheep money to. Probable to the person who helps me out the most. I'm not a azz either, so i will sell only the good ones.

Thanks for your help.

how the hell did you get 7 ecu's? You're not an old mexican guy, are you? I saw an old mexican guy selling 10 in a pillow sack to the guys at a junkyard in laurence.

To be honest outside of plugging it in and seeing if it works I think you are out of luck.

what are you doing to the mr2?

Comment

ha ha Mexicans....
      Q: What were the 2 Mexican FireFighting Brother's names?
      A: Hose A and Hose B

sorry not me though. Just a teeneage whiteboy from NH. I'm no hick either but it is hard not to talk w/out all your teath.

So you could say i'm screwed for the moment.

Can anyone else help me?

Comment

You need to build a test bench if you dont want to just try it on the car. Kinda PITA. Just use a known good chip and cycle it through all the different ECM's as you try them in your car. Pull the error codes and see whats up. The car isn't going to blow up if the ECM is bad.

Comment

oh shiz i forgot wow i suck donkey balls. My engine is in pieces around my garagewaiting for parts. Yeah that a big miss on my behalf. shiz just hit the fan.

Comment

use a test light

Comment

Originally posted by stolen
              use a test light
              haha...good call..i am not sure if you'd need a test bench...go 2 toyota and ask them..because when you buy a new ecu it has 2 be programmed at the dealer...try that

Comment

never ever ever ever use a test light on a ECU. First thing they tell ya, Also they come pre flashed with a base map and a limp map from the factory.

Comment

Test Light? Is that a plug in to see if it works? Anyway thanks for the help but i just baught a working drivable and inspected car! my first!!! wow i feal poor! I got an 86 Mr2 Supercharged for 1100 bananna's. Not to mention it has no rust and 148000 miles. i love it and am picking it up this sunday. I'll post a some pics or vids when i get it home. I guess i'll start as a MR drifter. It wll be harder then my friends s13 do drift but it wil be awsome. Hellow Oversteer.

I'l go end test the ECU's on it as well and will post the good one's for sale on the Buy and Sell forum alter on. Once again thanks

Comment

a test light is a little pick with a bulb and a lead that lights up when a circuit is good and never ever use one on a ecu or it will end up like a hyundai s-coupe

Comment

Working...
                    X