Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freeplay

anyone heard of this? it has to do withthe gas pedal

freeplay in anything is where you have "slack". With the gas pedal, it would be where you are stepping on the gas but not actually opening the throttle.

You would probably need to make adjustments to take slack out of the throttle cable, unless it is a drive-by-wire car.

Comment

thanx for the clear def. does anyone know how to correct this? the "slow throttle response" is really getting to me

Comment

just do to the throttle body, and take the wire, take it off the TB and then pull it tight or before you start pulling the pedal down then reconnect it and cut off slack, that shoudl work. And also try putting lubercant down the cable wire, should help with cable movement

Comment

dont forget the amount of free play needed to have ur clutch properly working

Comment

well, this is an automatic. to be exact, it's a 95 Mercedes E320 i think? i just need to tweek this so this car is actually driveable for me

Comment

well, thats a little different, is it a drive by wire, or a throttle cable set up, because i dont know much about MB engines

Comment

I have a hunch that the car is drive-by-wire, in which case you are basically hosed.

I haven't yet driven a drive-by-wire car whose throttle response was satisfactory. Now, I'm sure it has been done, but my last experience with it (E46 BMW) was not great at all.

Boo DBW!

Comment

yes, it is a drive-by-wire. i know somewhere you can mechanically tighten the bolts or the wire.
                  anyone else know ?

Comment

it could be that or possibly a computer thing that has that slow throttle time for "luxury and smooth driving" experience. My moms car is like that but not in throttle, but in transmission, its so slow and sloppy when chaning its just so uncomfortable .You could try asking your local mercedes dealership. But other than that, not sure what can be done.

Comment

heh. i drove it on saturday, and it was so slow taht when i floored it, it took about 3 sec. to downshift. oh yea, i don't really think drivers enjoy driving with freeplay, atleast i dont'. sure it's luxury, but it's hard to control. on the other hand, the transmission is really soft, so nothing crude.

oh yea, thanx for the input guys.

Comment

drive by wire doesn't mean that there is a wire as in a cable in between the pedal and the throttle body, it means that there is only a computer or "wire" connection between the pedal and the throttle body. It is computer/servo controlled.

There would be no bolts or wire to tighten if it was.

Comment

It is servo controlled and you can't adjust it, you can get a new one for about 1,100 and replace the wiring because on the early to mid 90s benzes they were required to make a certain ammount of the car biodegradable so they made the wire casings out of a material that likes to crack and fall off. At my old job we used to fix tons of cars that had a list of 2000000 things wrong with it by replacing the engine wiring harness, it ain't cheap either though. You can adjust the tranny with the modulator pressure, don't screw with it too much or you will eff up the tranny though.

Comment

Originally posted by LOVMUFN
                            early to mid 90s benzes
                            waht about other luxury manuf. such as lexus or bmw. anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by LOVMUFN
                              early to mid 90s benzes
                              I was biking and I got hit by one of those the other day. Let's just say it was a certain person wearing one of those obnoxious sun visors. They took off right away and I couldn't get the plates. It's black for those hwo live in richmond bc.

Comment

Working...
                              X