na or turbo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marshalarteest
    have you seen best motoring n/a vs turbo? im gonna assume yes but if you havn't go check it out. lil 190hp mr-s smoking kei office's s15 and such and such, its quite a show.
    That had more to do with the MR-S weighing 2200lbs than being n/a.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
      I'd say go N/A, but for four cylinder cars... That's really not an option unless you got a 4.0 L four banger...

N/A for several reasons. N/A is less parts and less can go wrong. N/A has less compression and puts less pressure on the internal parts. It also is lighter because of less parts. Also, depending on the tuning, the motor has a linear powerband which makes the car very predictable...

Now here are some reasons against N/A. Pulling power out of an N/A car is very difficult. Efficiency of a motor is related with compression. There is only so much you can do with piston compression to make power. 1 bar of boost basically doubles the compression of your intake... (alot more complex, and not exactly accurate either but I'm saying this to explain my point.)

Also, for an equivalent power level out of two motors, one N/A and one turbo. The turbo motor will be close to half the size of the N/A motor if turbo is running at one bar boost.

Also with smaller and modern turbos, boost can be controlled to make the motor linear.

Wear and tear will be more harsh on turbo motors though. That's why turbo motors are generally alot more built than N/A motors...
      LMAO

did anyone else actually read this post??

Comment

Originally posted by fatvp
        if any i'd rather drift
        wrd.

all 3 can work great. you just have to do your homework matching up turbo to your setup if you go that route and know what your diong to make that work correctly and make big power. if you dont know what your doing though you can really make a crappy turbo setup. if you dont know what your doing but want turbo find a good speed shop that does, and let them do it for you. but turbo is prolly my favorite setup. however i am happy with stock ka for drift, so ill just stick to cams/bolt ons for now because going custom turbo costs a couple grand, which i dont have.

Comment

the tough thing about all out N/A, is it becomes unstreetable when you get to the real high hp ranges (like 275+ for 4cyl) Cams have to be huge, compression is super high which requires race gas, rebuilds are frequent because of the high wear on the engine, idle super bumpy etc. I think 200 isnt out of the question though.

For the turbo thing, it seems that from a T25 to a T4 have been used on the KA engine, all having somewhat sucess around 225-275 hp with minor work to them. So turbo choice is important, but for those of you who arent picky, you could probably build a kit for around a grand if you shop well. Everyone talks about turbo lag, driving a stock SR i didnt notice any when i got on it, it pulled harder than my KA but kept pulling after the KA dies off, its only bigger turbos that lag that you would notice. Supercharging is cool, but it takes away from the engine as it has to use engine power to spool up.

That MR-S vs. S15 thing is more about the ability to use all 190hp in the twisties and not being able to use barely any of the 500hp in the S15

Comment

also just a side note. you dont need eleventy billino horses. if you know how to drive you can do a lot.

i cant remember the dudes name but there was a white s13 coupe at FD sonoma and irwindale, ka with bolt ons. he drifted darn near most the track at irwindale (minus the big oval banks duh) and wasnt doing bad at sonoma. you dont need gobs of power for driftnig, just skillz.

so when some you start tryign to pice together whatever project your doing enginewise, prioritze your money for seat time 1st and foremost.

Comment

That'd be Alex Chang. (I think it's Chang... hell, I don't know.) He goes by Mav1178 on Freshalloy.com.

Comment

yah thats the guy, i talked to him at irwindale and sonoma a good bit. hes pretty good.

Comment

Not only is he a good drifter and grip driver (I have video of him drifting at Irwindale and gripping at Infineon), he's also brilliant in the art of the automobile.

Comment

Working...
                  X