Straight.. or IRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight.. or IRS

i know im post whoring.. but now that my truck is turbo, i really want to focus on my suspension set up....

OK, i have A straight axle...

is that a good or bad thing for drifting...

i wanted to know b 4 i go 4 link

One word: AE86.

Comment

thats what i was thinking..
      i just wanted to ask anyways

Comment

There will be a physical limitation to what the suspension can do by design. For example, 4 wheel independent suspension is great for uneven terrain as it allows each wheel to move completely independent of the other 3 are doing. On flat surfaces, that benifit is less benificial.

A solid axle alone, I don't think you'll have much of a problem as far as drifting goes. You're still able to work with the suspension and tune the car. Now the suspension design may limit what you can do. I assume it's a leaf spring setup with just a set of shocks. It's a bit more simplistic, and myself having never really researched such an upgrade, I can only assume a small aftermarket of parts for that type of setup. You might be able to add and remove leafs to soften or stiffen the ride. You should be able to choose from a variety of shocks including some adjustable ones maybe. I'd look more in the off-road aftermarket section though as far as availability. There might be quite a bit available through the off-road aftermarket community. I'd almost say you could use some form of swaybar, but I can't picture a swaybar setup in conjunction with a sold axle. Is there such a configuration? lol.

The front end may be your best bet for tuning. That will be an independent suspension setup with standard springs and shocks or maybe a MacPherson strut setup. You may be able to find a variety of springs rates to work with as well as shock dampening rates. A swaybar would be an option too.

The main problem with such a vehicle is purely the lack of aftermarket parts. If you buy a sports car, the market for performance parts is there. When you go with a truck, that market doesn't really exist. You have the off-road market, but an on-road performance market isn't really there. You might have to do some hard searchihg just to find a set of springs with the rates you want. It might take some ingenuity on your part for some aspects. As well, there should be some companies out there that can fabricate anything you want, specific springs, shocks, custom swaybars, etc. There are companies that do that sort of stuff. How much? I don't know. But, it's a good way to go if nobody makes what you want.

Comment

It would really depend on what the rear end setup is like.

You may just be able to make some adjustments and whatnot as opposed to graft an entire rear end on there.

How does the truck run with the turbo setup? Rubber in many gears i'd imagine, lol.

Comment

You're going to need a lot of suspension work to make the rear end solid on that thing. Otherwise, you're going to have alot of roll like my truck... Solid axles aren't bad by any means, but you should ask the likes of CrazyHawaiian and others like him who use straight axles in the rear what to expect and what to work on.

Comment

Interestingly, my car has the same rear end design CH's does Crafty...perhaps because I also own a camaro.

Like I said, it depends on how it's setup. If it's just leafsprings and whatnot your aproach will be better than it would be with the Camaro's torque arm and multi-link type seutp.

Comment

Ok so I'm a dumbass

Comment

OK, this is my set up for my pick up....
                  again(you guys have no idea how many people ask me of my set up)

FRONT:
                  upper control arm to compinsate for the drop
                  2.5" drop lower control arm
                  Eibach springs (1" drop, 3.5" total up front)
                  KYB shocks, and adecco sway bar up front...

REAR:
                  3" drop leaf spring
                  1" drop block
                  Adecco sway bar.. yes a sway bar on a solid axle
                  http://www.customtacos.com/gallery2/showphoto.php?photo=1222&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500
                  and KYB shocks...

im going to install a reverse 4 link next spring...
                  with coil overs
                  the truck handles well, i just need to firm up the front end a bit, and drop the truck an other inch....
                  once i get this turbo tuned up, and some type R tires up front...
                  ill be all good to go....

THE REASON I ASKED ABOUT IRS Vs STRAIGHT
                  was due to the fact that im going with a 4 link.. i want to know if i should go IRS since im hacking the rear frame anyways

EDIT:
                  which i decided not to do after all....
                  the IRS that is..
                  Last edited by djnarush; 10-08-2004, 04:51 PM.

Comment

good call. Just do the multi-link with proper springs and sways and you will be good to go.

Comment

dude you rock for drifting a tacoma and good luck!

Comment

multi link shoudl be totally fine.

but just out of curiosity, what mad hybrid custom fabbed irs setup were you gonna try to put under your truck?

also do you auto-x? do you know what class you run?

Comment

well, for the IRS, i was considering using 88-90's supra..
                          hell, i have a supra lsd, injectors, and wheels, y not the IRS

OH, and for auto cross.. i dont YET, but i plan on joining the SCCA next season...

Comment

I doubt they make an exact kit for your truck, but there is a company call Hotrods to Hell that make a setup called " Centerdrive." What it is is basicly a Nascar setup for the street. It has two lower arms thet angle in to a new crossmember. Side to side movement is controled by a panhard bar on even a Watts link. Check out Hot Rod mag's web site for the article. It was installed on an el Camino.

Comment

Both will work good. AE86 is a solid rear and proven. S13/14 is IRS and proven. Each just has different ups and downs. For your truck I would recommend a 4 link rear and coilovers. And the only reason I say go with coilovers is because you will be able to play with the spring rates and dampening. Most of the truck suspension I see has more to do with ride height than stuff thats important for drifting like spring rates or compression/rebound.

Comment

Working...
                              X