SR-5 overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR-5 overheating

Hey, folks. One of my SR-5's is overheating and I haven't completely figured it out, I don't think.

I thought it was the radiator. So, it got a new radiator. Nope.

I thought it was the fan clutch. Yet - partially. Much better.

There's still a little bit of boiling going on - that coffee maker percolating sound from the coolant reservoir - after driving some days. It fades to a stop a lot sooner now that the fan clutch is replaced. It maybe lasts a minute and isn't as vigorous as before.

We're working with 174k miles and original water pump.

Any ideas?

I did read somewhere, in the owner's manual, I think, that the 4A-C in my SR-5 will get a little hot from time to time, after hard driving. The other SR-5's don't have this characteristic, though.

Thanks in advance,
    jason

Thermostat?

Comment

Where is the thermostate on this thing? Thanks.

Comment

Do thermostat first thing, after that check your rad cap, they are common failure points. Don't forget to burp your rad after new coolant, raise up front end a bit, run car with rad cap off until all bubbles come out!

Sounds like thermostat too me though.

Comment

I don't exatly know where's the thermostat in 4A-C... Ask the guys at club4ag.com.

Comment

It's better....

Changing the fan clutch helped a lot. However, it still bubbles for about 30 seconds after I turn it off. That's with the temperature guage saying that it has been at a normal temp the whole time. So, I'm thinking it's okay, but I'll check the thermostat anyway. (The thermostats on all my cars are old, so they should be examined anyway.)

Thanks a million for the burp hint. I didn't know...

Thanks,
            jh

Comment

Working...
            X