How did u learn to swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did u learn to swap?

How did you learn to swap your engine and tranny? did you go to school for it? did it read it off the internet? or did a friend teach you? i want to do my own engine swap, but i had no previous experience, i dont know what i can do to learn, i really dont feel like paying someone to do it, and at the end of the day, you still know nothing but drive your car home. theres a video for sell on this forum, its called shift 180? is it a good video? can a noob like me who never had any previous experience with a car other than changing tires and changing oil really do it just from that?

i had a guy whos done it before help me whilst i was swapping my engine. you learn the most by doing. Always make sure you have someone who knows thier *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* watching though.

Comment

thats the problem... friends around me are all loaded... none of them even know how to change their oil..... they have the nicest cars around yet all they did was reach in and reach out their pocket... im the only 1 that wants to learn... AND im the only 1 thats poor lol....... i wish i had someone to watch me tho

Comment

were are you loacted ocean ?

Comment

i can get my car anywhere from canada vancouver BC... to california.. i have a house in cali but i live in canada right now... theres really not much shops here that are good at swaping.. and even if they are good.. they are criminals.. they charge you so much its insane...

Comment

My dad and I took the motor out of my MG. We had a book that told you what to do. I know it wasn't a swap but its prolly pretty much the same.

Comment

really? a book? do you happen to remember what the name of the book is called?

Comment

the haynes repair manual for your car (or similar) should explain how to remove the stock engine, then reverse the steps to put in the new engine. if you buy your new engine with a whole front clip you can see how the wiring harness, hoses and stuff all hook up in general. ghetto swap style :P

Comment

ya i plan on swapping out my KA for a SR for my 1989 nissan 240sx and it says exactly what to remove and unplug the stock engine.it says all that stuff in the repair manual for your car.

Comment

I just did a stock KA to KA swap. I wanted to keep it simple for the first one. I know that KA to SR is much more involved than what I did, but heres something that should be done with any swap for the first time:
                    -Spend a lot of time searching on the net. There are a ton of people that have done this swap so information is plentiful.
                    -Stay organized. Put the bolts and misc. things in sandwhich bags and label them with a sharpie (or similar pen ). Its much easier to see the bag labeled "intake manifold bolts" than to guess what they are.
                    -Ask questions (search first). They will be answered since its a common swap.
                    -Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. This is the only to learn.
                    -Take your time. You rush and not know what you're doing, you'll be asking us how to rebuild the motor.

It took me 2 months to swap engines (of course not working on it everyday, and only being able to work on it at school an 1.5 hrs a few days out of the week). It runs fine now, and I learned how to do it. Have fun!

Comment

WOoow! nice! but how different is a SR swap compare to a KA? whats more involved?

Comment

i agree pacman...also ocean that video shift 180 is a good buy. i have it and i think it goes into good detail for the swap. definatly buy it dude.

to answer your previous question above the ka to sr swap isnt that hard....but like some guys above say, talk to people that know what they are doing. i would give you more advice but im only 15 yrs old. lol

Comment

Get the video if you are going to attempt it on your own. The swap itself is relatively easy for someone that can do their own maintenance, the hard part is pinning the harness. Lucky for you their are websites that show you just how to do that. My advice, find a friend with a shop and get him to help you. Get ALL of your parts together before even attempting to borrow someones shop or your car will tie up their livlihood and no one likes that. Then research that video and go for it. With help you should be able to do the physical swap in a weekend (depending on how dedicated you are) then pin the harness and drive. But remember, there are ALWAYS unforseen problems in any swap, plan as best you can for them.

Comment

Working...
                          X