ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what to do for a 1987 ltd crown victoria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do for a 1987 ltd crown victoria?

i just got my car and i would like to know what parts i should get first to start into drifting as soon as i can, or any tuning i can do to the car so i can drift it well, its a 1987 ltd crown victoria and is going to be a hell of a project, lol.

custom double wishbone suspensionw/ coilovers , complete carbon fiber body-(that should lighten up that pig of a car), personally it be a wasit of time to try in set up an ltd CV for drifting. just use it as a beater and save up for something better. but then again do whatever floats your dingy.

Comment

get the bigest ford big block, a giant blower, 500 shot nos. approx 1000hp/1000 lb/ft

Comment

If you want to make your Crown Vic get sideways, go buy some altezza tails and a big battle wing!

Seriously, Crown Vic drifing has popped up here on these forums before. Use the search button and just type in Crown Vic. Im too lazy to find it for you but in one of the threads there was some pretty good info on the topic for getting them set up right.

Good luck!

Comment

are you sure it was the same model crown vic? cause i know there was one in a drift comp some time ago i saw but it was a very recent one, didn't look bad but i dont think i've seen other crown vics, i'll still check.

Comment

Nah, nothing wrong with wanting to have some fun with your Crown Vic. People just love to hate There was another guy that used a Crown Vic to drift in a competition, it was actually a car from Bondurants Racing school. His name on these forums is "Ryanracer" I believe, and yes he drifts a newer model Crown Vic (with the 5.0 HO).

Here's what I say for your situation:

1. Get some different tires so you dont mess up your set for street driving. You dont need to buy $100,000 worth of parts or re-engineer the car to have some fun. All you need is a different set of tires that will kick out easier. I recommend some narrow (205-215) crap tires with really high tire PSI in the rear.

2. Find a spot to drift and go for it. Time in the drivers seat is 1000 times more important than modifying your car to drift. You will want to modify the car, but dont wait until it modified to get some seat time. Start now. Not only will you get some practice, you will be able to feel the difference your mods make.

3. Service the car. Like my 89 Camaro, your 87 Vic probably needs to be freshened up. And I'm not talking modifications here, I'm talking stuff like change all the fluids, change out bad bushings, make sure the cooling and braking systems are up to par, etc. Drifting is very hard on a car and stuff will break if you dont maintain the car.

4. Now look for mods. Not sure where you're gonna find stuff, but you'd probably want stiffer suspension, lower ride height, no body roll, stiff chassis, POSI/LSD in the rear, upgraded cooling or braking system components (if needed).

Good luck!!

Comment

If your crown vic is the only thing that you have to get around, then I wouldn't drift it too much. You don't wanna tear something up that you depend on.

Best place to practice is a large, open lot where nobody's around to complain and there's no popo in sight. When you do find a spot, don't stay too long. Don't wanna tip people off as to what you're doing.

Like CH said, the most important part of drifting is the practice. Wear your seatbelt, don't have anything loose in the car (cans, boxes, papers, etc), and use common sense when you practice. Don't practice on public roads unless you like repairing your car.

Good luck and be safe!!

Comment

If your crown vic is the only thing that you have to get around, then I wouldn't drift it too much. You don't wanna tear something up that you depend on.

Best place to practice is a large, open lot where nobody's around to complain and there's no popo in sight. When you do find a spot, don't stay too long. Don't wanna tip people off as to what you're doing.

Like CH said, the most important part of drifting is the practice. Wear your seatbelt, don't have anything loose in the car (cans, boxes, papers, etc), and use common sense when you practice. Don't practice on public roads unless you like repairing your car.

Good luck and be safe!!
                Honestly, these guys are right. Don't beat on your car if its your only car right now. Personally I think you'd have a 10x better platform to start on if you keep the Vic stock and save up a few dollars for a cheap sports car to start on.
                (Mk2 Supras, lots for under 1kus, they got everything you need)

Everyone wants to be original in the car they drift, nobody wants to be just another 240 or 86 or whatever, but its not about who you impress or whatever, even if you're not in a original car, you can still have fun yourself, thats what its all about.

I'm not saying necessarly thats you, just something to think about in general.

Comment

is it a police package?

heres what i woudl do

if rearend isnt posi, get one from teh junkyard that is
                  tires
                  maintenance
                  shiftkit/trannycooler
                  new brake pads up front

but is it a police package?

Comment

If it is a second car that going to be used for fun, Gut it. Since the don't make light weight parts for them , remove the flab. But don't just do the carpet-seats stuff. Get serious. Weld the back doors shut, and gut the inside. Replace the side glass with Lexan.Remove the bracing from the underside of the hood and trunk. Use pins to hold it on. Remove the inner fenderwells. Use only one seat. If you mess something up Vic's are cheap at junkyards.

Comment

Working...
                    X