Racing belts + no roll cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing belts + no roll cage

I've done alot of reading about these things and how install them correctly. And that if they aren't right they can kill you in an accident. I don't want to cage my car as the odds of a rollover are low and a cage is a pain with a 4 door. Sparco (I think) has a bar that attaches to the stock shoulder belt position and to the floor near the seat brackets. It spans the area between so you can loop or bolt the belts to it. I know that they'll never make one for my car, but it could be welded up fairly easy.Is this a good idea? Or am I wasting my time?

http://www.soloracer.com/rallyecross.html
    these are street legal because on strap is supposed to releas and act like a 3 point if an impact happens so u are able to lean over if u do flip

Comment

Cool, but what I was thinking was were they attach to? Some sort of roll bar is needed, right? I've seen them attached to the seat bolts and thats a no-no.

Comment

it dosnet matter where they can be mounted so long as its above 45 dgrees directly behind the drivers seat is what most say. lol i think their are a few diagrams on there too

Comment

Dude if you want a harness make sure its 3 in wide or theres really no point. Its a standard in racing.

But why wouldn't a harness be streetlegal?? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways why would you want it to release like a 3 point?? So you can lean over when you flip?? So you can basically get whip-lash or pound your head into something?

But I kinda understand if you don't have a rollcage, I guess you can lean forward and not have the roof crush you. But I highly doubt someone can react that fast, since you're flipping your body weight will fly in any direction, so its unpredictable.

Comment

you're not leaning anywhere...you're just going to bounce off hte roof and get pushed out of the way, instead of bounce into the roof and smush when you are held in place.

Not the worst idea I've ever heard for sure.

Comment

After market belts of any kind aren't street legal anywhere! They want you to use OEM belts. I'll feal real safe in my old muscle car with some crappy old style belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Appleseed
                After market belts of any kind aren't street legal anywhere! They want you to use OEM belts. I'll feal real safe in my old muscle car with some crappy old style belt.
                Hmm that doesn't make any sense, if properly secured it would be safer. But whatever the law makes no sense, I would argue with an officer if he ever pulled me over for that.

Comment

I agree. I don't think most cop with any sence will care.

Comment

Cops don't mind about racing harnesses in cars here in Europe, at least when they are safely attached to the body and/or something else like the Sparco bar (check it out at sparcousa.com).

Comment

Re: Racing belts + no roll cage

Originally posted by Appleseed
                      I've done alot of reading about these things and how install them correctly. And that if they aren't right they can kill you in an accident. I don't want to cage my car as the odds of a rollover are low and a cage is a pain with a 4 door. Sparco (I think) has a bar that attaches to the stock shoulder belt position and to the floor near the seat brackets. It spans the area between so you can loop or bolt the belts to it. I know that they'll never make one for my car, but it could be welded up fairly easy.Is this a good idea? Or am I wasting my time?
                      Depending on your car, either Meganracing.com or Lokar motorsports may make a harness bar for your car, which is the thing that mounts to the shoulder belt mounts.

Attach the lap belts at either your stock lap belt locations or where the seat rails meet the frame. The shoulder belts can either be attached to the rear seat lap belt hardpoints or some other hardpoint (strut mount, shoulder belt, etc.)

You keeping the rear seats in your sedan?

Comment

The reason, or at least what I have heard, for harness not being legal is they restrict movement while inside the car. Making it harder to look behind you, according to the powers to be. They also say they are harder to get out of say if you fell in a lake and needed to un-buckle. I have also heard cops will not do anything if you have one but I guess you really just cant tell.

Comment

I don't know so much about racing harnesses, but I know that aircraft harnesses are far easier to get out of then standard seatbelts.

Pull the latch and your out. The straps sort of just flow off of you when you stand up.

In a normal car seatbelt, you've gotta reach to hit a button, and then get the belt off of you and your arm.

If I went into a lake, I'd definately rather have a jet harness than a belt...

Comment

race cars tend to explode into firey balls of death more often that street cars. Therefore, racing harnesses are designed to be shed as quickly as possible. Just like aircraft belts, pull one lever and they fall away, simple as that!! i personally only trust sparco and simpson harnesses(i have sparco's in my car) stick with a 3 inch and youll be oh k

Comment

like I said, I have just heard this, since I cant even drive yet I have no reason to be even read over

Comment

Working...
                              X